It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 melody (or bass) in 3ds? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: melody (or bass) in 3ds?
mad_monk wrote:
It's together. For the moment, seeing it is for those who have supported what I'm doing.
You can wait forever as far as I'm concerned.

Mad Monk.
It looks like I'll have to... though I don't think I've been hostile to your ideas at all. Just the opposite. I've just encouraged you, over and over, to put your materials out there for people to see.

so far.. nothing... that doesn't mean I oppose you in any way.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeah, it's taking forever all right.
If only I hadn't wasted a decade trying to read in fifths....

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
mad_monk wrote:
It's together. For the moment, seeing it is for those who have supported what I'm doing.
You can wait forever as far as I'm concerned.

Mad Monk.
It looks like I'll have to... though I don't think I've been hostile to your ideas at all. Just the opposite. I've just encouraged you, over and over, to put your materials out there for people to see.

so far.. nothing... that doesn't mean I oppose you in any way.

Not buying it.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

whatever

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'll reply again. I have no problem with presenting closed voicings. Small example in standard tuning my third and eleventh strings are identical therefore on the same fret if I move one up or down a fret I get a half step interval which I can do with just my index and thumb.and integrate into a closed chord voicing.
As far as why fouths tuning works best there's also the dot inlay factor. For visual guidance these are spaced five frets apart (a 4th) thereby simplifying string displacement and note location. As I stated earlier the logic of 4ths/5ths tuning plus this dot inlay situation allows the player much easier visual and geometric navigation. And again with some creativity any chord voicing is a snap.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

And no one was being picked on. A question was asked about an alternate tuning and its possible advantages. Experimentation is good if it will yield positive results. My experiences convince me this case is not the most productive path. It's not about freedom of choice. It's about guidane and what tunings and techniques promote creativity and mastery of the instrument.
SA

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

mad_monk wrote:
If standard tuning is easier, someone should call Julliard, Berklee, and all those other know-nothings.
I personally don’t really hear anyone discussing Chapman Stick tunings on the Berklee campus. It’s a shame, really…

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:43 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
As I stated earlier the logic of 4ths/5ths tuning plus this dot inlay situation allows the player much easier visual and geometric navigation.

You say it's easier, easier than what?
Easier than learning the fretboard through progressive etudes?
I have spent many years on each approach...have you?

As for your "fix", what happens if you are using the string on the opposite side?
I used that trick way back when. If there is a specific chord you need, it rarely works out. But still good to know.
Then there is the issue of texture in the left hand. What happens when you want to add or resolve a dissonance off the beat, still holding down one or more notes? This happens in music all the time. An example would be any of the Bach chorales. On the piano the left hand usually plays just one voice of the four, but on Stick you must play two simultaneously in each hand.
And don't think none of this applies to jazz. Good jazz pianists know their chorales, in general.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Mr.Monk do you believe tuning in thirds will yield better results for voicings of chords?
The only public domain music truly written for Stick is some repertoire of King Crimson
. Therefore if you wish to play Pat Matheny, Thelonious Monk, The Beatles, Led Zep, Metallica or Bach the player must interpret and arrange for this instrument. Not always easy but that's where the creative options come in.
If you think tuning the Stick in thirds works better for you then more power to ya. My explorations, performances and teaching have me convinced that the 4ths/5ths deal is overall the most productive

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re- reading your post Mr. Monk, are you actually challenging my credibility? You ask if I've spent years studying? Okay then

Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next