It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 melody (or bass) in 3ds? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post melody (or bass) in 3ds?
Has anybody tried doing the melody side in thirds?

I am thinking in terms of using primarily for midi and get more piano like intervals for chords.

Looking for anybody that might have experience and suggestions.
Major or minor? or mix? starting note, Gauges of strings that have been sucessful etc..

Thanks!

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:43 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: melody (or bass) in 3ds?
Don't do it. The Stick's natural logical tuning makes everything so much easier to navigate and understand.
Really.
Totally convinced after 33 years experience playing and teaching

Steve A

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I remember reading a thread years ago of 1 guy who did melody in 3rds and bass in 6ths. The fact that it was years ago and nothing came of it should tell you something. If you are still not convinced, just plan out on a piece of paper how this affects chords, scales and geographic references. I think you will hate it.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 am
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Don't do it. The Stick's natural logical tuning makes everything so much easier to navigate and understand.
Really.
Totally convinced after 33 years experience playing and teaching

Steve A

I suppose that would depend on what you are trying to do.

In this case I am think in terms of using one side (melody) primarily as a midi controller. and for playing chords like 7-1-3-5 or 1-3-4-5 to get those piano/ organ type of feels.

Or if it really worked potentially doing both sides in whatever interval to drive midi

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:29 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey dude, you tune that thing any way you like! If it works for you, I say go for it! Everybody is different... (I know I tried a bunch of different tunings myself, although 3rds was never anything I considered) Personally, I am quite attached to 4ths. We all have our own motivations...

I mean, you can try it and always go back to a 4ths/5ths thing, or a mirrored 4ths thing or whatever if you like... The Stick won't mind, it even puts up with me playing it...

I'd like to hear/see some of your ideas could be interesting... (If it sounds like music, then it probably IS)

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:35 am
Contributor
Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Hey dude, you tune that thing any way you like! If it works for you, I say go for it! Everybody is different... (I know I tried a bunch of different tunings myself, although 3rds was never anything I considered) Personally, I am quite attached to 4ths. We all have our own motivations...

I mean, you can try it and always go back to a 4ths/5ths thing, or a mirrored 4ths thing or whatever if you like... The Stick won't mind, it even puts up with me playing it...

I'd like to hear/see some of your ideas could be interesting... (If it sounds like music, then it probably IS)

I seem to remember in the very early days of the guitar synth. For tracking purposes it was common to use all G strings. And then through Midi, tune to the needed pitch.

I suppose that may be the easiest route to try to experiment, set up and action would also be more consistent and interesting..

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Roman Giza plays a Stick tuned in major thirds. Check it out

http://youtu.be/pgOCbfAeZIY

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

"Hey dude, you tune that thing any way you like! If it works for you, I say go for it! Everybody is different... (I know I tried a bunch of different tunings myself, although 3rds was never anything I considered"

Yes indeed everyone should do whatever they want. The question was asked . Please dismiss my decades of experience and conclusions. Never mind.
Off to a gig.
Triads, dominants, extensions, alterations and orchestrations will be in abundance

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Yes indeed everyone should do whatever they want. The question was asked . Please dismiss my decades of experience and conclusions. Never mind.

wow. nice one

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've tinkered momentarily with major 3rds tuning on guitar. It's a good fit for jazz apparently. Obviously on Stick you'll give up the range, especially in the bass: I think you can see that by Giza's hand positions as he plays? In exchange you'll gain more closed chord voicings.

Look up Ralph Patt. He's used 3rds for many decades. He has chord charts here:

http://www.ralphpatt.com/Tune.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next