It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 melody (or bass) in 3ds? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: melody (or bass) in 3ds?
Brett Bottomley wrote:
I think 3rds would be great. They absolutely would open up a range of cool close voicing.
I think Steve is great. And he had encouraged you to pursue your dreams your way.
I think Mad Monk has great things to play and say and share and teach.
I think Greg is great. And he has encouraged everyone to pursue their music their way.

You don't HAVE to show respect to Greg or Steve or even Emmett. But I do have to because Steve really helped me understand and grow and Greg opened doors for me as a teacher and a friend.......and Emmett well. He change my life. So I'm proud to respect and call these men my friends. I respect everyone on the forum.

I think we can get along, I really do.

Please keep making music everyone.

Brett

Very cool, Brett. Coolest dude, ever. Best post in this thread.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Ah being challenged yet again. I would do it using the resources I mentioned and I've actually done this progression many times.
If you're not happy with that solution than as you wish, tune your Stick in thirds and have a blast. I answered your first question whether 3rds was more prudent than 4ths. You don't like my responses so do as you wish. I only gave you my experiences. Obviously you mistrust my words. So be it.
I sincerely wish you a wonderfully creative journey..

I suppose i am "challenging" you. As you have never answered the question.

So... Just so I am clear on your response..

When asked. How to do the progression in question..

The premise and the parameters..
On ONE side of the stick.. using 5 strings tuned in 4ths (presumably as a midi controller and pumping out an organ/ piano sound)..

So the question stands.. HOW do you do this? What is the "prudent" method to play this progression (in the parameters specified)?

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tune your Stick in thirds.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

BTW since you persist because you feel you must prove your point, I suggest you don't purchase any Stick educational materials. You will not be satisfied with any of the information. Save your money
As I said before, tune your Stick to fit your needs, ignore the inlays and previous musical concepts and enjoy your musical trip.
I just know this will not be satisfactory to you.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm surprised at this point that no one has mentioned changing the tuning of the individual strings as they are output via MIDI. This would allow you to have lots of different tunings for different applications.

It this no longer possible with the current generation of MIDI gear? I know you can do it with interfaces like the GI-20, for example.

What say you , MIDI experts?

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
BTW since you persist because you feel you must prove your point, I suggest you don't purchase any Stick educational materials. You will not be satisfied with any of the information. Save your money
As I said before, tune your Stick to fit your needs, ignore the inlays and previous musical concepts and enjoy your musical trip.
I just know this will not be satisfactory to you.

So, to summarize. there is NO legitimate approach to a Stick outside of the "Lee Vatip Approved method".

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Seancasler wrote:

The premise and the parameters..
On ONE side of the stick.. using 5 strings tuned in 4ths (presumably as a midi controller and pumping out an organ/ piano sound)..

So the question stands.. HOW do you do this? What is the "prudent" method to play this progression (in the parameters specified)?

Are there any other parameters? Will you be trying to do this chord(for example the 7-1-3-5 suggestion from way back on the first page) in a live solo setting? Will you be needing to play it with one hand?

I play in baritone-melody tuning on a ten string. I use a Roland gk-3 pickup thru a GR 20 synth. I also use organ and piano sounds(including Rhodes sounds) quite a bit. In my tuning I can play A7 in the 7-1-3-5 order(for example) a few different ways. One handed, with a long stretch using my pinky on the 5th string at the 18th fret, a "G". My ring finger would play on the 4th string at the 15th fret, an "A". My middle finger on the 3rd string at the 14th fret, a "C#". And my index finger on the 2nd string at the 12th fret, an "E". 7-1-3-5. I can arpeggiate this or tap them all at once and hold them in a sustained fashion. Or I could play this with fingers of both hands without the stretch. Because I play mostly with other musicians I would likely play the 7-3-5 and let someone else, like our trusty bassist play the 1. The 1-3-4-5 chord would need two hands or a really long index finger.

Maybe it would be easier to play the chord in some other tuning, but then the other chords I like to play would likely be harder.

Do you own a Stick? Have you mapped out the notes yet? That helps in visualizing these things.

In my case, I don't need to be so precise in the order of chord notes, or need to play them all on one side. It seems like music can be a lot more fun and relaxed without the restrictions some people put on it.

Mike

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Seancasler wrote:
Wow...

Got to say. pretty shocked and horrified here.

I guess my question would be to Steve A/ Lee V..
Using 5 strings and 4ths. and presumably one hand.
How would you voice something like this?

An "Oye Como Va" type organ progression/ vamp?
E-G-A-C to A-F#-A-C

Tune it the way Carlos Santana tunes his guitar! Or come up with something else! There's never been a stringed instrument that could accept any string gauge at any point without having to file nuts down or change bridges. You asked the knowledgable and received opinions. Take what you need and leave the rest. Experiment! Geez...I've tried ALL kinds of variations. I keep coming back to some kind of 4ths/5ths combination. JUST MY OPINION. No need for a hissy-fit. (Take up golf)

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

"So, to summarize. there is NO legitimate approach to a Stick outside of the "Lee Vatip Approved method"."
Thirds Guy

Ummm.....I don't believe this was said by anyone except you. You're obviously on a mission to be annoying. Mission acvomplished.
I await your next sarcastic response.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Seancasler wrote:
Lee Vatip wrote:

So, to summarize. there is NO legitimate approach to a Stick outside of the "Lee Vatip Approved method".

Do you have "Free Hands', by Emmett Chapman? Didn't it come with your Stick? Lesson 2 pg. 7 "Basic Techniques". "When you first get your hands on The Stick there are hundreds of possible approaches to choose from." I believe Steve A. might have given that book a glance.
Steve, sometimes I wonder why you bother, and just stick to the people that PAY you for your years of expertise...

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next