It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

Tuning Out Loud 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Tuning Out Loud
Do sol do sol do Fiiiii do fiiiiii do le sol fa may re do ti do re may fa sol le ti do dooooo

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Last edited by rcneville on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:00 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

JSK: "Do sol do sol do Fiiiii do fiiiiii do le sol fa may re do ti do re may fa sol le ti do dooooo"

EC: I tried but can't decipher the song, and I know I wouldn't want to tune that way.

It's "solfeggio" in Italy with varied syllable forms in other countries from ancient times, a way to teach diatonic scales by singing the phonemes, also extendable to the 12-tone chromatic scale BTW. Just have to pick your strategy (it's a game).

Tonic and dominant (Do & So) end in the O vowel - nice, that's solid. They need no high frequency "ee" (spelled "i") vowel to "sharpen" these most basic notes, and no lower frequency "ah" (spelled "a") vowel to "flatten" them.

Then you have four major scale notes that can only move flat in this scheme: Re to Ra, Mi to Ma (the minor 3rd), La to Lo, and Ti to Ta. That covers 6 of the 7 diatonic tones. Ti can't move sharp without becoming Do, the tonic, and Fa can't move flat without becoming Mi, the major 3rd.

Only Fa remains and can only be "sharpened" to Fi (pronounced "fee") for the raised 4th.

So now we have the ascending diatonic major scale, aka the Greek Ionian:
Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti and then the octave Do, the most familiar 7-tone scale,
which can be extended to include all twelve notes of the tempered chromatic scale:
Do Ra Re Ma Mi Fa Fi So Lo La Ta Ti and then Do again.

OK, so the vowels are giving us trouble. It's sharp to "ee" (spelled "i") and flat to "ah" (spelled "a"), but we already have those vowels used by Mi and Ti at the 3rd and 7th scale degrees, also Fa and La at the 4th and 6th degrees. Mi and Ti are no problem in this scheme because they can't be raised. Fa is also secure because it can't be lowered. Only La is the exception here and must be given a lower frequency vowel to flatten it. Lo is thus lower and by tradition.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

One nice think about a fork - if it's a decent size, it can double as a sheet music clip

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:09 pm