It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

Hardest thing I've ever done. 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Hardest thing I've ever done.
The Chapman stick seems to be the most challenging thing I have ever tried to learn. The lack of material ie music scores, or sheet music, tab etc. forces me to learn music theory, and actually have to arrange music, choose a bass line, what chords to use, how do I want to express any particular song.
Currently I am learning to read the grand staff, my wife's grandmother was a concert pianist, so I inherited a lot of piano music, mostly classical, it is slow going. I only started to play guitar about 5 years ago, and hit a wall at the time I found the stick. Music for me is about creation and expression of whatever I am going through at the time. Before I started playing guitar I had a bunch of lyrics written with melodies in my head not being able to express them. I needed an outlet. The guitar seemed like a good mix, singer songwriter type stuff. I loved guitar although I never learned many songs, mostly my own, which I know is bad practise. The stick is an incredible outlet, I find myself listening to music and imagining how I would play it on the stick. I used to want to sing and play guitar but now I have enough trouble just trying to play this awesome thing. I have a 12 string grand on order and can't wait for that. Thank you Mister Chapman for this beautiful expression machine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Hardest thing I've ever done.
Greg Howards Stick Book Vol.1 is a great learning reference. Here Greg lowers himself to the beginners level for basic understanding,at least for me.Steve Adelsons teaching book is also great.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yes, its not that easy but you clearly have a passion to keep at it , which might be half the battle :D
I agree Greg & Steves books are both great starts form two expert but varying perspectives. I still dont read much but am starting to look more at that , I just play & play and play. Lesson on Skype have been really good, and like you say I now hear songs in a different way thinking that might translate to STICK.
I also got a Grand which is a beast of unlimited possibility so you can look forward to its arrival. I through neccesity and regular travel switch between it and an Alto , the size change is a Challenge but something I just have to deal with. Have fun :ugeek:

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I took a totally different approach to playing stick.
I just noodle around a lot. I have most of the books and DVDs.
I even download a lot of stuff from youtube.

I try to play by ear. I listen to something and then try to copy it.
I've done the same thing with sax, guitar, keyboard and harmonica.

To me, music is about relaxing and having fun.
Little by little, I'm getting interested in theory, etc.
but I must, above all else, keep it light and fun...

I like playing laying down, so I picked up a new chair for $50.
Some people call it an examination table, but it's my lounger.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:56 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It is very challenging. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, and that's a fact. It is a cool way to play music, and although it's frustrating at times I really like it. It's an interesting instrument that can accommodate a lot of different playing styles in my opinion. But it's just that, an opinion. I have only been playing the Stick for a couple of years and I am not trying to give anyone any kind of advice or anything, just sharing my experience... and yeah, I can relate to your post dude. It takes a bit of time, and a willingness to take a clever approach to your own learning.

I personally found/find Greg's songbook to be extremely challenging, I learned the first three songs out of there, and about half of the fourth one, but it took quite a bit of effort and study. I also learned all of the tunes from the Stick book and Free Hands; same thing. Took a ton of effort and energy to work out, to say the least. If that stuff is aimed at a beginner, then I am thinking that I represent a breed of idiot that is far and away beneath the usual calibre of virtuoso that is your average Stick player.

Anyways.

I really found that playing along with my favourite tunes routinely and getting very familiar with simple things is/was super powerful... Y'know, "powerchords for everything" kind of approach in the beginning just to be able to play a kind of faux "rhythm guitar plus bass" kind of thing. Like, White Stripes or Nirvana or Offspring or Metallica or something. Then, as you get those down right along with the record you can start to get fancier and play the vocal line along with the chords and bass and stuff when you feel ready...

Again, just an opinion...

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

stickyfingers wrote:
Greg Howards Stick Book Vol.1 is a great learning reference. Here Greg lowers himself to the beginners level for basic understanding,at least for me.Steve Adelsons teaching book is also great.
Thanks much,

I'm always honored to be with a player at the beginning of their journey, and anyone who has organized a seminar that I've been a part of can tell you I always ask to teach beginner classes.

No "lowering" involved ;)

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

stickyfingers wrote:

I have all the books just not enough discipline. Trying to get serious now after 6 months, I feel the need to move up a level.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:

I have all the books just not enough discipline. Trying to get serious now after 6 months, I feel the need to move up a level.

Skype is easy...

http://www.greghoward.com/free_hands/video_lessons.html

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

ReyStick wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:

Dude, If you haven't tried a Skype lesson you should. I took a bunch with Steve Adelson, and they were very enlightening. I'm still putting the ideas in an order that makes sense to me... I have all the books and DVD's too, but sometimes it's just one small, seemingly unimportant piece of information that someone who's been there, might be able to lead you to...

Maybe don't worry about "getting serious" 'cause if you are still playing after 6 months I'd say you are probably already pretty serious...

Anyways, good luck, man!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:51 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I also would really encourage the Skype Lesson thing with whoever you choose. It really is money well spent to literally be one on one with one of the very accomplished players that offer this, takes you out of isolation, opens new ideas & doors and you just never know where the lesson will go some days but its always going somewhere good. Like Scott says.. My opinion! :D :D

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery