It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:55 am

Still waiting.... 

Post Still waiting....
or What to do while waiting for a Stick :)

Well, I've nearly finished reading Stickman by Jim Reilly, great book; really good insight into Emmett's life and what drove him on to create the Stick and the free hands playing method. Upmost respect for Mr Chapman :)

Have been going through Greg Howards tutorial DVD, which is great and well produced but without a Stick ... it's just been making me want it more.

Trawling the internet for all things Stick related...

Drooling over a Mod Duo, looks like a very cool FX unit

Annoying the wife, but that happens most days TBH :)

Honestly, I don't think I've been this excited with anticipation since I was a kid... It's like feckin Xmas!

Please Mr Chapman let me have my Stick, soon... I've (mostly) been well behaved...

Anyhoo, will let you know when it arrives.

Back to pacing..........

Peace n Love from Bristol, UK

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Still waiting....
Chrispfingers wrote:
or What to do while waiting for a Stick :)

Well, I've nearly finished reading Stickman by Jim Reilly, great book; really good insight into Emmett's life and what drove him on to create the Stick and the free hands playing method. Upmost respect for Mr Chapman :)

Have been going through Greg Howards tutorial DVD, which is great and well produced but without a Stick ... it's just been making me want it more.

Trawling the internet for all things Stick related...

Drooling over a Mod Duo, looks like a very cool FX unit

Annoying the wife, but that happens most days TBH :)

Honestly, I don't think I've been this excited with anticipation since I was a kid... It's like feckin Xmas!

Please Mr Chapman let me have my Stick, soon... I've (mostly) been well behaved...

Anyhoo, will let you know when it arrives.

Back to pacing..........

Peace n Love from Bristol, UK
This was hilarious because it's so true--and somewhat universal. We put in our orders on a device that most of us have never seen in real life and most of our friends and family have never even heard of. Then we wait and wait and trawl the internet looking for just one more Bob Culbertson video.

I ordered my Railboard and then couldn't wait 6 months so I also bought my 10-string Rosewood off Ebay. Best decision I ever made on an impulsive buy.

Now a year and a half later, I'm waiting for my third Stick, a NS/Stick with wenge neck and body. It was supposed to be done in only a month and now that it's at day 57, I'm extremely anxious to get it. And I already have 2 other Sticks to keep me busy. I am not a patient person at all, either. :roll:

But waiting is. It will be Stickmas before you know it! But Stickmas is harder to wait for than Xmas--we all know what day and time Santa will be around. Xmas is easy to wait for.

It's the not knowing of when Stickmas will be that makes it hard to wait for me!

Please post pics when your Happy Moment arrives. You can make an unboxing video, and that will give all those people still waiting for their Stick something else to live vicariously through after all the Bob Culbertson videos have been watched. Hope your (and my) waits are done soon!

--Peace! (Soon to be NS/Steve)
By the way, here was the unboxing video for my own Railboard. I'm gonna do one for the NS/Stick when it comes!

Cheers!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hey great unboxing Vid Paigan. Doesn't help with my frustration though, well a little, but hey glad you got yours. Will definitely post when I get mine.

I'm kinda reassured that your order is on day 57 :) Looking forward to seeing that unboxing.

I keep telling myself it will be worth it and I know it will. :D

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:11 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

What's the estimated wait time these days?

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ah, you boys crack me up. When I got my first Stick I just drove to Sam Ash NYC and bought it off the wall....

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Quote:

Not sure tbh, seems like a good few months. Mine's a refurbished model so was hoping it wouldn't take too long... The anticipation is killing me, but I know it'll be worth it....

Was really hoping to find one in the UK in a music shop, but had no luck - that must have been a blast AnDroiD, picking one up of the rack and just paying for it..."why yes, I think I'll just get this one thanks" :) - happy my Stick will be 'refurbed' by Stick Enterprises though.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

pcgonzales wrote:

For my NS/Stick, Gary Jibilian and Cambria told me "about a month, depending on the options." I got wenge on wenge, stained ebony-black. But that was over the holidays, and my order is at day 58, and I'm not sure what the situation is. It was "nearly done" almost a month ago, so I'll update when it's done-done instead of "almost done." Even two months (hoping it comes soon) would be pretty quick (knocks on wenge wood).

I'm not sure how long they're quoting for wooden Sticks and Railboards now. My Railboard took 124 days from order to door, but that was a year ago Christmastime (it arrived 21 December 2015 for a Happy Stickmas). I don't think they take that long now, but I'm not sure. They have some inventory built up, and some listed on the website. It depends on a lot of factors, many of which I have no insight into.

Slight tangent on the subject of ordering Sticks and waiting, with your kind indulgences.

I'd love for better feedback on the status of orders, to be honest, but I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. But I am complaining a bit. It's a couple of thousand bucks a pop and even just the smallest info goes a long way to alleviate my OCD-ness and inability to wait an indeterminate amount of time without feedback. A time period that stretches over several months to a year or more for some folk.

Running a company and family and designing innovative instruments and making orders all over the world for a variety of products are all extremely challenging things to do, and Stick Enterprises rocks things out and does a really professional job on what they do. But Stick has updated their website and has started branching out into Railboards and other new innovative products. One humble suggestion that I'd make if anyone cared about my suggestions would be a simple online site that tracks the status of your order.

Quickly brainstorming, a simple timeline, with significant milestones along the way, could be graphically illustrated, and the point that your Stick is at could be shown. For example:

List of Significant Milestones:

1. Order received and a running day clock, with your options chosen displayed, like color and string gauge and tuners. An advanced version would even show you sample jpegs of your proposed Stick product, like a blue Railboard with gold tuners and green linears. I would refresh and display that hi-res sample pic of my new ordered Stick several thousand times a day (okay, 3 or 4). But Milestone one would be Order Received with a sample pic and estimated range of delivery ("3-6 months" even).

2. Deposit paid
3. Choosing aluminum/wooden Blanks. (I don't know much about this process or how long it takes.)
3.5 (Waiting for that seafoam green to come from the factory, or a new shipment of wenge)
4. Cutting, carving, drilling, CNC machining whatever the blanks
5. Neck work, attaching headstocks, etc,
6. Stringing and tuning
7. Final checks
8. Blessings from the Stick Gods, Cthuhlu, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Diety of Your Choice (Please specify upon initial ordering)...
9. Shipping

And then any delays, like "waiting on new ACT2 pickups from supplier, @ 2-3 weeks" could be written in the remarks column next to each milestone.

This info is easily updated with a simple click on the order you're working on (in my hypothetical mind anyway) with an ipad that feeds to the website that displays order status.

Maybe there are more or less milestones that could be tracked. Maybe this is too difficult for a "Mom and Pop shop" (no offense--that's the standard government worker term for a family-owned and operated business of whatever size). I've not ordered custom instruments from anyone else before, but I have dealt with a number of vendors of all kinds of products and services doing logistics for the U.S. government, and I've seen some really "easy" things done on websites with minimal data that customers really respond well to. (Think UPS or FedEx, for example. Every new milestone gets updated on the website to track.)

But again, I'm not one to complain, unless I'm also going to offer suggestions for fixes. And I don't have the time or resources to code something like this. Maybe there's a COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) application or service that exists, that wouldn't require re-inventing some wheels.

In the meantime, I'm both a happy fan and a customer, which makes me conflicted when orders run later than estimated and I want to complain. This shit takes a while and I totally get that. A little more communication goes a long, long way, is all I'm saying. I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets obsessive about this stuff, reading the many threads about StickWait. And many thanks and many kudos for Stick Enterprises and their efforts!

Patient NS/Steve

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol I once dealt with Fender on a replacement neck that had been broken on a signature series Strat. I wanted a new neck with the same serial.

Fender doesn't DO that...

Lol Once the appropriate level of grovelling had been achieved, and the proper bribes paid, and all documents and waivers signed it was only six months wait!

For a neck. That is CNC'd. That they make thousands of.

I was warned that "I would get it when I fucking got it, and to fuck off with phone calls and emails or they wouldn't do it"

Plus I had to pay in advance... lol Kind of like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld, those Fender guys...

My Railboard took quite some time to come, but my Grand sort of surprised me. The Grand wasn't too big of a deal, because I had two other Sticks to play already and I was really confused with where to begin musically on the instrument. But the Grand was finished really quickly, and I play it way more than my Railboard...

Anyways, I'm sure you guys will get your new instruments soon enough, and the freaking out will be over hehe Kind of funny in a way...

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:14 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Chrispfingers wrote:
Was really hoping to find one in the UK in a music shop, but had no luck - that must have been a blast AnDroiD, picking one up of the rack and just paying for it..."why yes, I think I'll just get this one thanks" - happy my Stick will be 'refurbed' by Stick Enterprises though.

That was a looong time ago Emmett was sending Sticks out to major music stores. ('85) And used Sticks just don't show up in stores (well, maybe) But my SECOND Stick...9 months? I was patient (I had another one) But I still remember talking to Yuta the day it was leaving Stick Ents. "It's sitting right here in the office." "How does it look?" "It's beautiful."
Also, at Sam Ash, I called them up, they had one, drove there, he hands it to me, and says, "Good luck." haha

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I got grand stick last year.

The spec of my grand stick is wenge body, linear inlay, Black tuners, PASV-4 pickup.
In my case, I paid $ 300 as a deposit one month after ordering.
Then,about 1.5 months later I got a stick.
I think that the delivery date will also change depending on the material of the wood and the type of pickup, inlays and tunes.
In my case I also remember that they had no stock of PASV-4, and that a little production was delayed.

Please look forward to it.

Best,

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:59 am