It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How the pickups sound... (reprise) 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: How the pickups sound... (reprise)
Yes, the best for experiments would probably be a hollow, open, ACTV-2-shaped housing, where you could move the pickups around freely.
The biggest challenge for EMG containing housings is to find a place for the battery... I've been tinking of a compartment below one of the side wings of the module, so that the whole surface of the module is free for pickup placement. This would still allow sliding out the module (to one side) without removing the strings.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:44 am

Jaap, your comparison clips are great. I heard them last year and found them very helpful.

I've also noticed that the pickups feel different. The PASV-4 has some sag kind of like a tube amp. The ACTV-2 is more immediate like a solid-state amp. I prefer the active sound but the passive feel.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:28 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thnx :-)
It's fascinating indeed... It prabably has to do with the extra brightness of the EMG's.
One remark of Kevin Keith was an eye opener for me: he uses mulriband compression in the Stick because he feels it gives the sound a kind of tube warmth. I played around with multiband compression in Logic Peo and on my TC Electronic bass combo, and I do like a mild bit of multiband compression, especially on the bass side. It does smoothe the sound, without destroying the dynamics. And for wild Nick Beggs-like stuff, a lot of compression is fun, too :-)

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:39 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

If you're willing to fabricate a very small number of adjustable ACTV2 Block housings, I'd be interested in one!! Just a thought...

I'm keen to try that \ / idea for the EMGs.

jaap wrote:
Yes, the best for experiments would probably be a hollow, open, ACTV-2-shaped housing, where you could move the pickups around freely.
The biggest challenge for EMG containing housings is to find a place for the battery... I've been tinking of a compartment below one of the side wings of the module, so that the whole surface of the module is free for pickup placement. This would still allow sliding out the module (to one side) without removing the strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

At this moment, milling the thing would be the challenge. If I could get my hands on a CNC miling machine, it would be possible. Another option is 3D printing, but we would need a printer that can print 20 x 20 cm, most printers are smaller than that.
The 3D modelling is no problem, since 3D CAD is my daily work :-)

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hmmm.., interesting.

On further thought, an experimental Block could be made from 2 metal plates, separated by 1cm standoffs in each corner. Who needs sides?! Perhaps we could get the front and back manufactured in 1mm aluminium by emailing a CNC file to a machine shop. Then screw the plates together with risers to separate them?

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

For experiments it's even better to have either just a base plate. Instead of the EMG's hanging below a top plate you could screw them on top of the base plate, with some foam between the plate and the pickup, just like P-basses and Jazz Basses.
In order to try different positions, you only need to drill extra holes.
I even skipped this when looking for a pickup position, I simply held the pickup upside down in my hand above the strings, tapping the string with the other hand. Obviously, this method is more difficult when experimenting with twin pickups...

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:46 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Brilliant. I'm going to make up a single plate and drill some holes and maybe long slots into it. I'm keen to try more acute angles than the regular Block.
So now I'm on the hunt for 2x EMG front Tele's!

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Your best chance might be on the EMG site, they have a webshop. It was almost impossible to get the FT's here in Europe...

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:13 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey mate,

Do you know whether the FT or the FTC (ceramic) is better? Both on this page:

http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/single-coil.html

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next