It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

ever heard about this instrument ? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: ever heard about this instrument ?
It's tubular! as Moon Unit would say

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Shit this is really cool. Cant't believe they're as inexpensive as they are.

Rosewood 10 String Stick #6092

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:07 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the link MichNS. That leads me to a version of Somewhere over the rainbow that I find fantastic : great playing, great tone

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well, I dunno guys... hehe I think it looks ridiculous... maybe add polka dots? Haha They could have called it "The pipe" ...

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:43 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I think that the art of luthier is somewhat under appreciated in the players world simply because
the complexity, precision and math just goes over our heads. I have been fortunate to know
and meet, talk to and even hang out with a number of these amazing people including
Rick Davis and Kat Fox, Matt Mustapick, Linda Manzer, Kenny Hill and of course Emmett...

To build is to invent, to jump over the hedge row of convention and at the same time stand on the shoulders of giants. Rich Eberlen's invention, the Solene is a real departure from "convention" even in the arena of unconventional tapping instruments. It takes a kind of courage
that requires brains and tenacity to conceive of and then build a new kind of instrument,
and have it work.

I don't know the extent that the Solene was influenced by The Stick but I would think
the influence is there. We must admit though that the design is interesting in ways
that leaves Traktor and Mark Warr looking like ordinary counterfeiters or taxidermists :twisted:.

grozoeil mentioned Rich Eberlen's lost years. That is when I tried to contact him about getting
one of his instruments. He did not write me back but I kept pestering him writing him cool letters telling him how I wanted one and what a great invention the Solene was. Finally
after about four years he contacted me and said he was making them again.

I am happy to say that the Solene is a great little tapping instrument; warm, precise
and relatively easy to play. It is essentially a 7 string guitar. I admit that like Steve mine
has been sitting around waiting for me to play it more, but every time I do I am happy
that I have it because I love the challenge of coming at the game from a new angle
or in this case around the pipe...

Being so affordable I think that the Solene would be a choice second or third instrument
for a Stick player ;).

Here is Rich Eberlen's CD baby link so you can hear what he has done with it:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/eberlen2

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:54 pm