It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

SG12 or an Alto, Recommendations? 

Post Re: SG12 or an Alto, Recommendations?
Oh, one more thing.

You are not by any stretch a novice stick player .
I see your stuff and anyone can see the understanding you already have on the stick.
Its only a matter of time and practice. I see some pretty cool stuff coming out soon.

You are a modest guy. Great quality in a musician.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hey There,

It's been ages since my last post, but I thought I'd weigh in with my sordid musings...

My first stick was an Alto with a stickup. It was an incredible machine. Something about this instrument made it sing; it had a tremendous sonic/vocal quality to it that I have yet to reproduce in another stick. Running it through my pedalboard enhanced the sound even more...

Of course, being the dreaded fool I am, I found myself longing for something more bass-oriented, so I sold it to fund a Stick Bass. I consider this to have been a grave mistake, as it sealed the end of my stick playing. I found the Stick Bass to be lacking (probably because of my poor setup), and I sold it.

Ultimately, I've had a few different sticks (NS, Bass, Alto), and I've only ever missed the Alto. I've thought about a SG 12, but I can't justify the purchase.

Best,
~Nick "Klaus" G.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:25 am

I actually debated between the SG12 and the Railboard when I made my first purchase. Ultimately decided on Railboard. Since then, I picked up a 12-string Grand and have actually spent the last 4 months or so trying to figure out which one I want to keep between the two. There are aspects of both that I really love. I've been thinking if I sell the Railboard I might try an NS Stick because it's a different kind of stick.

I think the biggest downfall of Stick addiction is the difficulty in trying before you buy. I know I'm not the only one in the Dallas area that would love to check out an NS Stick. (There's a thread about it in the NS Stick forum.)

Same for the SG12. I'm still curious on how it would compare.

I agree that each stick seems to have some sweet spots that are a bit different than other sticks. I imagine this would be true on the difference between string gauges and wood choice as well.

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:35 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've had both, the 3rd alto and 2nd SG12 Emmett made. They were both very nice instruments. I found I wanted more "vertical" range than the Alto had, so I lobbied hard for Emmett to make the SG12.

Ultimately, I found switching back and forth between the short and long-scale instruments too disorienting for me (I played a lot of major 3rds on the same string when I meant to play minor 3rds, for example). I like to play with my eyes closed much of the time, and having to look to see if I was landing on the right spot was very distracting, so now I only play bass scale Sticks.

I hope this commentary is helpful...

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Ultimately, I found switching back and forth between the short and long-scale instruments too disorienting for me (I played a lot of major 3rds on the same string when I meant to play minor 3rds, for example). I like to play with my eyes closed much of the time, and having to look to see if I was landing on the right spot was very distracting, so now I only play bass scale Sticks.

I hope this commentary is helpful...

I think it should be very helpful. I had the same feeling and went the other way to only having an SG12. You've played the longer scale length Stick for so long I'm not surprised you favor it. I played guitar for so long I had a hard time with the fret spacing on the grand. I never did get fully comfortable with it and once I held an SG12 (yours at the first Interlochen) that was it for me. I didn't have to adjust to the fret spacing on the SG, it was just right for me from the first moment.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I would go with the SG12 because of the twelve strings, compared to the alto's ten. This gives you a wider playground.

Don't think the SG12 is a shorter version of a Grand. It is a very different instrument. I play both models and look at the SG12 as one instrument, like for example the harp, and the grand as two instruments (a bass rammed into a baritone guitar). The playing experience is totally different. You don't want to play "bass, chords and melody" on an SG12, like you can do so well on a Grand. On an SG12 you will feel an urge to melt the two sides together, alternate notes of a melody between the two sides, and generally treat it like you would treat a piano or a harp. I'm not sure an Alto would give that player's experience, since it has ten strings and you don't reach as many notes instantly.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just saw this. Truth be told, I've been pretty much out of commission for quite some time due to some orthopedic issues (more on that another time).

Here's two cents.

For starters, when someone asked if you had exhausted all the Grand Stick had to offer, I took that to mean ... have you really explored the entire range of the instrument. Here's why I ask. When the chips are down, the range of a Grand Stick is simply huge and I don't think there is anything in my current Alto repertoire that I couldn't play on my Grand. There have been a couple of times when I even entertained the idea of dumping the Alto and doing just that. With that said however, the overall timbre and feel is different. So while some tunes could be played on my Grand, they just don't come off the same. That, of course, works both ways.

So my Alto is a keeper.

Next ... the SG12. I haven't actually played an SG12. But the main reason I don't play one is simply because it didn't exist when I bought my Alto. I think if I were to make that decision today, I would almost certainly go for the SG12 simply, as Per said, because of the extra strings and the added overlap.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well, I took this thread to be a "What makes you think you are worthy of an SG12/Alto...?" And it keeps on going, and going...

Don't worry, I won't be purchasing either an NS/Alto/SG12 until I 1) get some skills 2) start making effective use of the Grand's range. 3) learn the tactile difference between a maj/min3rd on different scaled instruments like guitar/bass/stick/ukelele/mandolin/banjo/etc

All 3 are probably never going to happen, so y'all just saved me a pile of money. Thanks, friends!

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Well, I took this thread to be a "What makes you think you are worthy of an SG12/Alto...?" And it keeps on going, and going...

Don't worry, I won't be purchasing either an NS/Alto/SG12 until I 1) get some skills 2) start making effective use of the Grand's range. 3) learn the tactile difference between a maj/min3rd on different scaled instruments like guitar/bass/stick/ukelele/mandolin/banjo/etc

All 3 are probably never going to happen, so y'all just saved me a pile of money. Thanks, friends!
I don't think this thread should be interpreted as a "Why do you think you're worthy of an alto?" thread, but as the way you intended it, as a "So why the alto or SG12 (and what's the difference)?" I think you got some really good feedback from a lot of alto/SG12 users, and maybe it doesn't suit your interests once you dig into it. That's perfectly okay! "We all have our rocks in the stream coming down from Stick Mountain!" :ugeek:

But it seems to really resonate with different people for different reasons. Some like the range and the "guitar-ness" of the fret spacing. Others use it in conjunction with other Sticks, the way a bass clarinet and clarinet live happily together.

I will probably never have "the skill" on any instrument I play, if you ask the right (or wrong) people. But that's okay! I am not so interested in either the alto or the SG12 for myself, but I learned a lot about them and what they have to offer, thanks to the experiences of Eric, Greg, Claire, Randy, Glen, Per, Larry, and Nic, Dibbly, and Scott. And if someone wants to give me a free SG12, I promise to suck enthusiastically and loudly on it!

But I'd rather be sucking on an NS/Stick right now! Bass fourths across 8 strings! Can't wait!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

All good, thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and opinions. It was really useful in helping me make an informed decision as to whether or not to purchase. At the end of the day, I will just continue to refine what it is I am working towards on whatever is handy...

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:43 am