It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 am

tuning chosen and order placed! 

Post tuning chosen and order placed!
After several months of hardcore lurking here and YouTube, I placed an order for a Railboard! (Black finish, black closed tuners, exposed aluminum dots, RMR tuning) Thanks to this board, I'm happy to join some fellow sufferers counting the days til first quarter 2017 delivery.

I agonized over the tuning.

My main instrument for 30 years is bass guitar, mostly five string, so my gut feel was to to go with a lower tuning. But over the past several years, I switched my five string instruments from 34" scale to 35" because the latter improves the tension and tone in the low B string. I still prefer the 34" scale for four string basses. So I figured putting the 34" Railboard in RMR made sense, as its lowest pitch is just a little lower than the low E on a four string bass.

My second motivation for picking RMR was Emmett's recommendation. Even if I wind up changing later, I'd rather start from the inventor's baseline and mix things up from there.

Tick tick tick. Is it here yet?

The Pretensions
https://soundcloud.com/the-pretensions
(no stick music there yet!)

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:46 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: tuning chosen and order placed!
Welcome to stick wait. It will be here before u know it

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:45 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

And y'know, that Low E sounds deep... I am cool with it on my Railboard!

(Congrats!)

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ooh, I do so love the back story. Does anyone else love the back story? :D

Great to hear about the order. I like that raised open C# in the left hand, pretty certain you will too. Have you thought about attending Interlochen in 2017? Those events are great cause you get to try everyone else's instruments.

(And I get to sneak time with Dean, Don or Gary's NS...)

What are you using for a bass amp currently if you don't mind me asking?

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Earthgene, I'm pretty much a home studio creature these days, so I sold my last physical amp years ago. It was a Carvin head with a 1x15 cab--not a great match for the higher frequencies of a Stick.

Now I play through a Line 6 POD x3 through studio monitors, and run (clean) recorded tracks through the Line 6 POD Farm plugin. Not sure yet how I'll hook up the R-block to all that, but the POD x3 has dual inputs, so that's a start.

I checked the Interlochen site and that does sound tempting!

Railboard #6965

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Hey, nice one, I'm also waiting for a black Railboard - which is almost ready I believe! :D I'm also a bassist (as well as keys). Interesting to hear your perspective on tunings and scale length. I too play 5 string and love having access to those low notes.. I went for MR tuning for that reason - I'll see how it goes, I can always change up to RMR later if I feel the need, but I want to give MR a go.

What 5 string bass(es) do you have if you don't mind me asking? Just curious!

I've read a few people on here say they put away their basses for several months while learning The Stick.... Not sure I can bear to do that?!! :? :lol:

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Bassmonk, one thing about five-strings is that I mostly use the fifth string higher up the neck to avoid having to slide my hand towards the nut to hit notes below low A (as opposed to using the extra notes below low E). Choosing RMR over MR will remove some of that ability because I'll be forced to play closer to the nut. But as you say, we can always change later. Let's compare notes when our instruments are in!

I used to play a gunmetal blue Yamaha BB5000A. Loved the P-bass string spacing what I bought it in the early 90s! Current fives are a pair of Schecter Stiletto Studio 5s, black satin fretted and honey satin fretless. The longer scale was part of my motivation to switch, but also my hands were ready for J spacing for whatever reason.

I've "put away" my bass several times over decades to focus on a new instrument, or even a non-musical hobby. I know I'll come back.

Railboard #6965

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:58 pm

pretensions wrote:
Bassmonk, one thing about five-strings is that I mostly use the fifth string higher up the neck to avoid having to slide my hand towards the nut to hit notes below low A (as opposed to using the extra notes below low E). Choosing RMR over MR will remove some of that ability because I'll be forced to play closer to the nut. But as you say, we can always change later. Let's compare notes when our instruments are in!

I used to play a gunmetal blue Yamaha BB5000A. Loved the P-bass string spacing what I bought it in the early 90s! Current fives are a pair of Schecter Stiletto Studio 5s, black satin fretted and honey satin fretless. The longer scale was part of my motivation to switch, but also my hands were ready for J spacing for whatever reason.

I've "put away" my bass several times over decades to focus on a new instrument, or even a non-musical hobby. I know I'll come back.

Nice. I have 2 Yamaha TRBs. They are very versatile. One is a 6 and I'm going to sell it next year and get a Stingray 5. I just find the 5 so much more comfortable - the TRB-6 has a very wide neck and it's also very heavy. So I'll go from 35" scale to 34".. Haven't thought much about the pros and cons of scale length, will be interesting to see what differences it brings..

Yes raising a family, along with other circumstances, has meant my basses have been a bit neglected these last few years. Enjoying playing a bit more again now the kids are getting bigger (youngest is 6). Of course, everything may change when the new "baby" arrives in a few weeks...!

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Yes, after the agonising over the instrument, the mindbending tuning decisions.
I also play bass - 4 and 6 sting. 34ins 4 string and 35ins 6 string.

At the moment I have Classic tuning - but will most likely go for RMR or Baritone Melody in the near future,
You will enjoy the absolute........Alieness of it all. Juuust close enough to be familiar... :D but just far away enough to make you cry. :D No - after the initial "I should have bought an NS Stick - why must I torture myself?" it's quite an amazing "thing".
This at least is what I am telling myself - 10 days in.
You will love the construction of the Railboard.
T

Railboard: #6419, Blue, Classic tuning, medium gauge.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" - F.Zappa.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 am