It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

Volume of outer strings on either side is too small 

Post Volume of outer strings on either side is too small
I am the newbie who purchased Grand Stick six months ago.

Recently, the volume is getting very small when I tapped the low fret (from 2 to 5 frets) of the thin strings which is near to the both sides of stick. (I mean string1,2,3 and 10,11,12.) The pickup is PASV-4. I tried to change the combination of pickup selection and filter of PASV-4, but the volume does not improved.

Could someone have information or advice with it ?

Best,
Take.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:53 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Volume of outer strings on either side is too small
Hey there! I had something somewhat similar going on after messing with the tuning of my grand and I found that raising the pickup height just slightly made all the difference. Can't raise it too high, or the notes will fret out though...

Good luck!

Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I use a custom string set due to this issue on my SG12. I always felt that the outer 4 strings had a thinner tone and lower volume than the rest. I now order a custom string set where the inner 8 strings are medium gauge and the outer 4 are one gauge heavier. This makes a huge difference and all the strings have similar tone and volume now. SE can make custom string sets with a phone call.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

takeyyz wrote:
I am the newbie who purchased Grand Stick six months ago.

Recently, the volume is getting very small when I tapped the low fret (from 2 to 5 frets) of the thin strings which is near to the both sides of stick. (I mean string1,2,3 and 10,11,12.) The pickup is PASV-4. I tried to change the combination of pickup selection and filter of PASV-4, but the volume does not improved.

Could someone have information or advice with it ?

Best,
Take.
Hi Take, this could be an impedance mismatch with your inputs. Wnat are you plugging the instrument into?

Also, if you play a lot and your strings are dirty, they may need to be changed...

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I find this problem to be worse on the 5ths side where the mass of each string varies more from string to string and they get thin quick. I haven't had as much problem on the 4ths side - especially with a Stickup where there are adjustable pole pieces. 12 strings are more problematic because the 12th string has considerably less mass than the 10th string on a 10 string if you're using straight 5ths. On my 12 string I tune my 12th string down a whole step to a so-called high 4th and use a .013. This lets the top end chord extensions that you can get on the high 4th stand out more w/less effort. And I tune the 4th side down a whole step to get a matched reciprocal tuning which opens up some new positions and fattens up the melody side tone. I use medium gauge strings all around. That and a little multi-band compression has given me a pretty even playing environment all around the fingerboard. It's by far the most useful tuning and string gauge combination I've tried for a Grand Stick and I've tried all the common ones.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:42 am

Hi all,

Thank for your various helpful advices.

Hi Jayesskerr,
as you mentioned, I suppose that this issue is causing or getting worse after tuning. This is one of good idea to adjust the height of pickups.

Hi EricTheGray, Captain Strings,
as both of you mentioned, changing the string to much thicker one is also good idea too. When I replace the all of strings, I will try this.

Hi Greg,
I connect my stick to bass amp via POD HD500X. When I connect stick to HD500X, I carefully confirmed the impedance. but , I would like to re-confirm the setting of it. Fortunately, all of the strings are still clean, I think.

Best,
Take.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

takeyyz wrote:
Hi all,

Hi Jayesskerr,
as you mentioned, I suppose that this issue is causing or getting worse after tuning. This is one of good idea to adjust the height of pickups.

as both of you mentioned, changing the string to much thicker one is also good idea too. When I replace the all of strings, I will try this.

Hi Greg,
I connect my stick to bass amp via POD HD500X. When I connect stick to HD500X, I carefully confirmed the impedance. but , I would like to re-confirm the setting of it. Fortunately, all of the strings are still clean, I think.

Best,
Take.
Hello Take. What kind of bass amp is it, make and model? Does it have a tweeter or is it just one woofer?

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hey take where are u any way. Is YYZ Toronto?

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:28 pm

greg wrote:
takeyyz wrote:
Hi all,

Hi Jayesskerr,

Hi Greg,

Best,
Take.
Hello Take. What kind of bass amp is it, make and model? Does it have a tweeter or is it just one woofer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Greg,

I have small bass amp, PJB double four. It has two full range speaker only.

Best,
Take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:34 pm