It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

Need of restoring an old polycarbonate 10-string 

Post Need of restoring an old polycarbonate 10-string
Hello board! This is my first post I believe, although I've been reading it for some years. I'm actually a Norway based keyboardplayer, guitarist, singer etc.. - former pro - but nowadays music and instruments is my perfect hobby.

Some years ago I got this polycarb stick. Last week I finally got the time to put on a new string set.. and I started to worry about the fact that it really would gain on adding a truss rod. I've read all about the polycarb refurbishing that was done to some guys stick a few years back. Thing is.. sending my stick to California from Norway and back, will cost me quite a few dollars. Maybe a tad too much for the salvaging this old instrument.

Thing is - I've got a nice workshop here - and I'm used to fix my own stuff - be it electronics, repairs and setting up guitars.

My questions:
1. Would it be possible to order a truss rod from Stick.com??
2. If yes - do you know how deep I need to route the cavity for such a thing?
3. I'm looking for good DIY-tech-sites on the Chapman Stick. Any suggestions??

Cheers from Oslo Norway!
Eivind

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Need of restoring an old polycarbonate 10-string
Unless you REALLY enjoy, doing such things, Send it to Stick Enterprises and allow them to update and refurbish it.... IT is well worth it, and then you will have an instrument you can play easily as well. You might even want Emmet to update the Stickup as well, depending on how good it sounds.... Really.... send it to SE!

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hello, Eivind.

I can't find this on the stick.com site now. It used to be there and might be helpful. Here's the original article I wrote on getting a poly retrofitted. I don't have this old poly anymore but I still loved playing it after the retrofit.

Polycarboate Stick Retrofit

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thank you for the advise guys.

Oh - and Eric - the article is still there:
http://www.stick.com/instruments/tech/e ... kretrofit/

I had already read it - several times.

:)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:50 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I sent my poly to be refurbished and it came out great, but there wasn't actually a whole lot that i couldn't have done myself.

If you like, I can do some measurements for you when I get a chance.

Ciao

Tim

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't add a trussrod by myself. the chance to damage and ruin the instrument is really high.
Try to compare your stick to another one , which is in good condition. ( i think there are some players in sweden, never heard of one in norway in this forum) when you really feel, that the stick needs refurbished contact SE how much this will cost.
Take into account that you will have to pay taxes and all this stuff! When you bought your stick second hand and have not the original bills when imported to europe, this gets really expensive :o
I calculated such a case for me some months ago and this brought me to 750 euros just for transportation and taxes...................

My suggestion in your case: get in contact with another stickplayer to get a second opinion!
I know that stickplayers are very rare in europe, but it should be possible - probably during a holiday trip
Greetings from Vienna
Gerald

Railboard MR #6549
Grand Stick Classic #1697

Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sight down the instrument with it tuned to pitch as you would a guitar. If it's bowed then yes it needs help. If not, then you can just stick to light strings and it will be aok.

The DIY end depends on your workshop skills. If you can make a template and attach the instrument to a solid flat surface, then the only issue is the correct speed and bit for the router to cut the plastic and not melt it (I am guessing). There was also a little bit of the inset steel rod that had to be removed to make room for the adjustment assembly.

Again, if you are handy, the rod can be made up from 1/4 inch square section steel rod with a T welded onto one end and a thread cut on the other end. A photo and measurements would make it very clear.

More DIY, people!!! I recall a few years ago when I went to the best double bass luthier in town and was talking to him about setting up my bass. He was very encouraging and positive about the value of being able to work on my bass myself when he could easily have just taken my money and clouded the whole process in magic and intrigue. A bazillion points to that man!

Cheers,

Tim

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I strongly feel that any Stick should have an adjustable truss rod.

Another thing to consider if doing the work yourself is if the routed out channel is curved or flat on the bottom. Normally a dual adjustable truss rod uses a flat channel and a single adjustable uses a curved one. Since Emmett's design is a bit different, it would be good to verify the channel routing his requires.

Even though I am into DYI, I'd recommend SE doing this work (if possible.)

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Tim de Martino wrote:
I sent my poly to be refurbished and it came out great, but there wasn't actually a whole lot that i couldn't have done myself.

If you like, I can do some measurements for you when I get a chance.

Ciao

Tim

That'd be great if you could! In particular I'm interested in the depth of the cavity. If I go too deep, then all is lost. :lol:

I've already found a slight bow in the neck using my straight edge. My string gauges are already light... So nothing to be gained there. The online guide on choosing strings was specific on that point. Only light gauges for polycarbonate sticks.

For routing the cavities... The long one and the two ends - I would manufacture at least two different jigs for my router. It's not very hard - takes some time, but that's where you do all the work to get it correct. Also - before doing the actual cut, I'd most likely get some polycarbonate to do some test runs.

I wonder about the plastic screws at the back of the polycarb stick... They are where the cavity will be routed. I don't even know what they're for. Could just be from the manufaturing process when the neck was moulded to the frets... Just thinking out loud here.

In the meantime I've been studying the truss rod patent. Some good info there as well.

I'm in no means in a hurry on this one. Can I do it? I think so. I built a four manual organ console a couple of years ago..

Again thanks for all comments! I appreciate it very much.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:49 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

It sounds like you should be able to do this yourself. There a few details that I can share when I get some pictures and measurements to you.

Cheers

Tim

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery