It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:22 am

Acoustic Properties of the Stick... 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Acoustic Properties of the Stick...
Gerald wrote:
Hi
I wouldn´t play with an electrical instrument only accoustic. You learn a hammering style from this and lose the fine motoric in your fingers from this behaviour.
This was the one of first things my bass teacher (and stickplayer) told me - (30 years ago...) and looking back - he was right.

The solution i found for me ist to have a small setup in every place i want to play. This means:

In best case I go to my cellar and play with all the G&K, Boss, TC..... stuff.
If not possible I have a small amp in the Living room
if not possible some Logitech Computerboxes
if not Possible my JBL alarm clock :lol:

The Important thing: everything needs to be ready prepared and cabeled ready for playing - means : Plugin the Cable to the stick, Power on the device and PLAY :D
I love to play my Sticks acoustically, particularly my Rosewood. The Railboard is a bit "clunky" played acoustically and I'm afraid that at times I find myself doing the hammering thing you mentioned, instead of a light tap. So I try to use my IRIG2 to plug in, like ArmyDoc does with his Focusrite (which I also have and love), but I do enjoy playing acoustically. It's a bad habit, but my rosewood is quite loud unplugged. The Railboard I've learned to keep plugged in, but I do enjoy picking it up off its stand and just playing it not plugged in. Bad habits...should just plug them in! I do worry about the bad habits I pick up and the much stronger attack I use because I'm playing acoustically. So don't do that! (He says to himself as well!)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gerald wrote:
pcgonzales wrote:
The BassLabs prototypes actually had a very nice acoustic property to them! Its too bad those didn't work out!

Does anyone know why they did not go to production?

I think that both the cooperations with BassLabb prototypes and with SRTech at StickAmp brutally ended economics and low dollar exchange rate to Euro. 10 years ago import of products from Europe to USA was totally unprofitable.

10-String Deep Baritone Melody Padouk Stick #351 with XXL MIDI & Stickup
12-String Matched Reciprocal XG Grand Stick #5428 with dual MIDI & PASV-4
10-String Deep (-3 semitones) Standard Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with MIDI & Stickup

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

mahabresq wrote:
Gerald wrote:
pcgonzales wrote:
The BassLabs prototypes actually had a very nice acoustic property to them! Its too bad those didn't work out!

Does anyone know why they did not go to production?

I think that both the cooperations with BassLabb prototypes and with SRTech at StickAmp brutally ended economics and low dollar exchange rate to Euro. 10 years ago import of products from Europe to USA was totally unprofitable.

Emmett has also mentioned there were problems with the molds as well, difficult to extract the blanks.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I used to know a bass player in the 60s who practiced his Fender bass and tuned it up backstage when he had no amp by taping an inexpensive medical stethoscope to the back of it and just putting the little earpieces in his ears. I tried it once and it worked surprisingly well. And it's totally "acoustic". You can get a pretty good nurse grade one for around $75 and take your own blood pressure while you're waiting for musical inspiration to strike.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Captain Strings wrote:
And why isn't the YouTube link working? I took off the "s" on https and used the YouTube wraparound. It used to embed just fine......??? Has something changed?

You need to use the embeddable link, not the main link to the video. They look like this:

Code:
[youtube2]http://youtu.be/8nTHd6gbOTxM[/youtube2]

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Captain Strings wrote:
I used to know a bass player in the 60s who practiced his Fender bass and tuned it up backstage when he had no amp by taping an inexpensive medical stethoscope to the back of it and just putting the little earpieces in his ears. I tried it once and it worked surprisingly well. And it's totally "acoustic". You can get a pretty good nurse grade one for around $75 and take your own blood pressure while you're waiting for musical inspiration to strike.

Anyone actively persue this idea? I was in Life Uniform Co. and saw stethoscopes. I tried a couple by tapping on the counter (it sounded like the counter), explained myself to the sales clerk (showed her a pic of me playing the Stick) and said I might come back with it to try it out. The Littman Classic III was pretty cool - $100 (you can find them cheaper online). The chestpiece would fit behind the headstock between the tuners, maybe taped in place. If it sounds good it would be a really compact/streamline design for practice!

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Here is an idea I had a while back. You can practice at a decent volume or very quietly and it sounds pretty good. (I think this sounds better than the Roland Micro cube--which I tried out and decided not to buy)

another way could be to do this.(see photo below) There is a thread somewhere about how I achieved the building of the FrankenStick. It is not very loud I am afraid, and it weighs about 15 pounds. Also you need to pretty much destroy a Stick and a cello to do it. (the cello was already broken-long story)

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

mike kemp wrote:

Here is an idea I had a while back. You can practice at a decent volume or very quietly and it sounds pretty good. (I think this sounds better than the Roland Micro cube--which I tried out and decided not to buy)

another way could be to do this.(see photo below) There is a thread somewhere about how I achieved the building of the FrankenStick. It is not very loud I am afraid, and it weighs about 15 pounds. Also you need to pretty much destroy a Stick and a cello to do it. (the cello was already broken-long story)

Mike

When you mentioned using the cable to plug into TV speakers I started imagining a hotel near the next Stick conference with a bunch of blown out TV speakers. :lol:

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:07 am