It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

stick as 1 or 2 "instruments" 

Post Re: stick as 1 or 2 "instruments"
I definitely look at it as one instrument. My preferred playing is as Bass + Guitar with separate signals, but I don't see this as contradicting the idea of a single instrument anymore than splitting my keyboard to make a different sound on the left side and right side wouldn't make it two different instruments.

I look at it as simply being a single versatile instrument.

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:36 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

....I remember the title in a publication long time ago, about 1980...
....the title was: "still guitar or a key board?"...

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The Stick is an idea machine...

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
The Stick is an idea machine...

So true! Today I had put my Stick for rest in an armchair during a short break from a recording. I hadn't bothered turning down the volume pots, so when my son came in and threw a towel into the same armchair a loud swarm of wonderful IDEAS manifested in the air. We both thought the metallic BLA-DAHM sounded very cool.

:-)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

snoitan wrote:
I definitely look at it as one instrument. My preferred playing is as Bass + Guitar with separate signals, but I don't see this as contradicting the idea of a single instrument anymore than splitting my keyboard to make a different sound on the left side and right side wouldn't make it two different instruments.

It's really interesting how perspectives vary..like for me (caveat, I am confident my piano juries were, at best, effort grades and, more likely charity) when a keyboard is split or there are 2 manuals then I process as two instruments (funny, I was actually going to use that example in the initial post...the house clavier is a rhodes mki with a sequential pro one perched on top and I'm just glad the wife can make nice sounds from em)

Neat how people process different things.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

perspective note (well, I'm just babbling to help my own process)

My "native" is/was classic[al] guitar and it, I found was always an interesting compromise - I took pains to get good voice separation, but being a single resonator and the biomechanics of playing tended to make that "incomplete" for good or ill.

I suppose rubbing up against that might be part of what draws me to the stick.

I talk to my mother-in-law (pipe organist) about these sorts of things and it's something we both note in some fugues where the player will tend to read "vertically" and play the piece as homophonic chords * as opposed to separating the voices as distinct melodies that interact

(*now I mean that as a matter of degree. I don't mean to imply the organist is just bashing out chords without realizing the nature of the piece. I just mean it can slip into that a little in terms of expression, articulation, etc - and I can't blame em, sometimes it looks like it just gets really hairy in there and you just have to throw to the notes as best you can -- but I think it comes "off theme" for a fugue or canon )
you go you special shoe wearing freaks!! work that iron!

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I approach the NS/Stick as two instruments. The bass side is an electric bass and the melody side is an electric guitar. I sometimes play in a living room situation and I play "acoustic" with just a clean sound and in mono but I still think I'm playing some kind of acoustic bass guitar and acoustic guitar...

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery