It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:51 am

Railboard or 10 string grand? 

Post Railboard or 10 string grand?
Hello stick people. I am going to make the leap a get a stick.
Yes. :)
However, a couple of questions...
I am a bassist, 6' 4" and my hands aren't skinny. Not the opposite but not too delicate...so I am wondering about string spacing. As I undestand it, the widest string spacing is a 10 string grand?
BUT...
I also want something that taps easily as my hands ar 50+ years old, and from what I can see the Railboard is the easiest to tap. Playing double bass has hammered my joints a bit.

What are your thoughts on this? I don't know which to order. Also I am in Australia so the exchange rate is rubbish, so the railboard really is much cheaper. I love the sound, but worry the string spacing is too narrow.....
I want a classic 10 string stick as opposed to an NS or bass stick by the way.
Cheers!
T. :)

Railboard: #6419, Blue, Classic tuning, medium gauge.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible" - F.Zappa.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:32 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Railboard or 10 string grand?
I'm a bit shorter than you, but I also play bass. Whenever I touched a guitar, I found the strings to be ridiculously close and awkward. I play a 12-string Grand and have no issue with my fingers hitting two strings unless I want them to. I would recommend the Railboard to you. A guitar is about 0.26" spacing, a Railboard about 0.315" and a 10-Grand about 0.35". Bass guitars can be about 0.39".

Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:19 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Totally agree. Double bass player for 25 years before I got my hands on a stick. Didn't had any problems with string space on the railboard. Now, teaching my left hand to use a lot less strength... Now that's been a challenge. :)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:34 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I think Rodrigo makes a good point point and he comes form the same playing background, he's had no trouble at all with the adaptation I think I can safely say.
I'm still in psychotherapy after what the exchange rate did to my Grand 12 coming into Australia.
I am reliably told now by friends who are car freaks that there are ways around the ridiculous import taxes.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Both the Ten-String Grand and Railboard models are roomy for the hands. Center-to-center string spacing is only .010" less on Railboard, .340" versus .350". Plenty of space also separating the two groups of strings and a bit more distance from the outer strings to the edges.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:26 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Y'know, I mostly play my 12-string, but DAMN!! I love my Railboard. I JUST about tried to sell it in a moment of weakness, but thankfully I priced it so high that no one would touch it.

lol Can't go wrong though, I bet every model of Stick is insanely cool.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks EVERYONE for all your replies - that certainly helps me.

A question about the rail board - does anyone find it TOO thin? I have a bass that has a very thin neck and it's a bit hard on my left Thumb(neck).
I realise that it's a very different hand position - but thought I would ask.

Jayesskerr: Do you find the Railboard easier to tap / more responsive than the Grand?
piratebruce: Yes - I am not impressed by the taxes. I'll look into that. :(
bachdois: Good to know!

Cheers
T.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:45 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Togril wrote:
Thanks EVERYONE for all your replies - that certainly helps me.

A question about the rail board - does anyone find it TOO thin? I have a bass that has a very thin neck and it's a bit hard on my left Thumb(neck).
I realise that it's a very different hand position - but thought I would ask.

Jayesskerr: Do you find the Railboard easier to tap / more responsive than the Grand?
piratebruce: Yes - I am not impressed by the taxes. I'll look into that. :(
bachdois: Good to know!

Cheers
T.

I find the Railboard to be extremely playable; the neck, well it's gotta be played. The Grand is also really nice, but I find there to be less space between the strings. Still, very playable. As far as responsiveness, there was so much care and attention put into the construction of these things that that is simply not an issue in my 'noob' opinion. The Railboard weighs a bit more, though... Some folks don't like that.

What I really like is the tone you get from the aluminum board; Really quite meaty, nothing else like it.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:58 pm

Jayesskerr wrote:
I find the Railboard to be extremely playable; the neck, well it's gotta be played...

Thanks again - I was thinking more of the thickness of the board - I am unsure of where the thumb goes anyway - but my thumb (left hand / neck hand!)) is more comfortable about an inch away from my index finger - if that makes sense.
I realise talking about necks and sticks in the same sentence is wierd.

I really appreciate this. BTW.

T.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:31 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Railboard or 10 string grand?
The only real thing I ever felt is we're used to make a lot of strength in the left thumb. No problem with the thickness, no problem with the different tuning (never confused both instrument's tuning so far), no problem with the rest of her fingers and string spacing. The only thing is reeducate the left thumb that it doesn't need to push back against the instrument - the touch is so light you won't believe it. As for were the tumb goes, it just naturally fits the curvature unique to the back of the railboard. On wooden sticks I've read somewhere that it should be positioned in the beveled edge, on the railboard however, it's so thin that it just tests comfortably on the curvature in the back
Cheers
Rodrigo
Ps
Another advantage for us is that we're used to play a vertical instrument, with the stick, the more the better, I found out.

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 pm