[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickist.com - View topic - Bass/Melody flipping-will it solve hands cross?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 am

Bass/Melody flipping-will it solve hands cross? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Bass/Melody flipping-will it solve hands cross?
this issue came to mind lately:

why isn't the stick is built the other way around?

bass strings on melody side and vice versa.

i mean that way you basically plays the same positions but ALSO
hands will never cross and you will have more range:
more highs on Bass and more lows on Melody

your thoughts?

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Last edited by Boaz on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Bass/Melody fliiping-will it solve hands cross?
Interesting point Boaz, I think there was one player at StickCamp " uncrossed " Maybe Andre?

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Bruce-looked back at the the Stick Camp pictures - it does look like Andre is playing that uncrossed way (i thought he was left handed at first-because the stick is lying on his right shoulder)

Greg - tnx for your detailed response
those are great points you brought up

have you (or any other) tried at one point playing uncrossed and got to the conclusion that the best way is the other way around ?

RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:53 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Bass/Melody flipping-will it solve hands cross?
Seems talking about different persons
LG g

Railboard MR #6549
Grand Stick Classic #1697

Last edited by Gerald on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:45 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Pardon my stupid response, but couldn't you just 'uncross' when you need to? I was kind of messing around with it a bit and even with hands crossed I could pretty much access any note I wanted on either side....

But I think it's easier to get high notes on the bass side if my left hand is underneath/below the right. I think that the uncrossed way works pretty good to get notes from the 4th fret to the nut on the melody side if one is working with the bass side kind of in the same area...?

Unless there's another way?

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

off course you can uncross whenever you feel like,
but the way i'm talking about is keeping the same position playing the same chords

RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:56 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

For me, personally, uncrossed is really really hard... Different sensibility in both hands leads me to a lack of control of the sound if I'm playing with the left hand on the melody side... Plus, I totally agree with Greg: the ergonomics are perfect if I play crossed, but it gets impossibly hard to play the 1st string with the left hand. Maybe it's just different for different people but I've tried it and it doesn't feel good to me. Wich is not to say I don't use it in certain songs when I need to: I do, but as another tool, one that allows me to do something I couldn't any other way. But that's just me. If I were you i'de try it: listen to your body, it will let you know everything you need to. I always decide based on that... I definitely should write something one day, on this body/instrument relationship. I think people don't realize how important it is.
Cheers

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:27 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

André plays the Classic Grand Stick tuning but his hands are all over the board, like Bob's, any sector of the fretboard becoming active with orchestration, counterpoint and thematic lines.

I apply an imaginary cross to the fretted playing surface. It's centered at the 9th fret along the board and between the string groups across the board. Any hand can be at any of the four sectors, including RH melody at the lowest pitched frets ("behind" the LH accompaniment), and even including LH melody at the highest pitched frets (ungainly to look at but there's a big orchestral payoff).

Then there's the basic technique and posture (the fallback position), where the LH plays the longer vibrations at the wider spaced frets and the RH plays more in the guitar range.

If you choose to relegate each hand to its nearest set of strings as you approach the board, you might as well have a double-neck tapping instrument. I did build one for a customer some years back. Two SB8s attached to a body, a 16-string Stick.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:36 pm