It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Bass/Melody flipping-will it solve hands cross? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Bass/Melody flipping-will it solve hands cross?
aNDREmu wrote:
Thanks a lot pcgonzales! I appreciate that you commented only on my music and not on me playing the stick the wrong way! ;)
I more and more get the feeling that I have to apologize in this forum for playing uncrossed and in 4th. But I like to play that way and it is very natural for me coming from a bass and piano background.
Andre,

Not sure why you feel that way. Nobody's criticizing your playing or your music (quite the opposite, actually). The fact is that The Stick is designed to support whatever tuning the player imagines, precisely so that players like you can do what they want.

Every tuning choice has its positives and negatives, it's the music the player makes with it that counts.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

pcgonzales wrote:

Wow, just watched your video on Bach - Goldberg Variations ! Amazing work! https://youtu.be/aUNL90Ud0BU

Agreed, Andre plays beautifully. I'm hoping someday he'll publish a music book of his work, annotated in 4ths.

Another great player who plays uncrossed Domenico Scarlatti. I love both of their work.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:37 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

aNDREmu wrote:
pcgonzales wrote:
Wow, just watched your video on Bach - Goldberg Variations ! Amazing work! https://youtu.be/aUNL90Ud0BU

Thanks a lot pcgonzales! I appreciate that you commented only on my music and not on me playing the stick the wrong way! ;)
I more and more get the feeling that I have to apologize in this forum for playing uncrossed and in 4th. But I like to play that way and it is very natural for me coming from a bass and piano background.

Your music Is unreal. I wish I could Play the wrong way like You...

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ArmyDoc wrote:

Agreed, Andre plays beautifully. I'm hoping someday he'll publish a music book of his work, annotated in 4ths.

Another great player who plays uncrossed Domenico Scarlatti. I love both of their work.
I couldn't agree more. The best way to propagate and expand any idea is to teach it, or help others teach it to themselves...

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

aNDREmu wrote:

FWIW As I read it, I don't think people have been criticizing your personal decision to play a certain way...that would be inappropriate. I think they are simply (and appropriately) showing how it negates your very worth as a human being.
And of course there is no need to apologize because obviously playing in a different way is an irredeemable evil. Especially given the hundred of years of tradition that the stick has...innovation and experimentation is antithetical to the nature of the stick

well, that's how I read it anyway

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:50 pm

Plus: Carnys.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:03 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for your answers! What I wrote yesterday wasn't specific to this thread. It was a feeling I had for a longer time. So it had to come out. :)

I'm glad that I was wrong here.
What I wanted to say actually is what Greg wrote so apt:
"It's the music the player makes that counts".

I have stick students with different tunings. only two with my tuning.
It's a great experience to teach stick and I'm learning a lot doing it. Never had a problem with all the different tunings.

Thanks again for your kind words and the great feedback to my music!

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:27 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

...really a lot of excellent posts here, thank you all...

...just my favourites....

WerkSpace wrote:
...I play both sides of the fingerboard with either hand. It depends on what I'm trying to do....

aNDREmu wrote:
...It´s good to keep an open mind and explore the endless possibilities of this instrument....

Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:37 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Without a doubt.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very informative thread, very interesting ideas and concepts.

I've only been at it for a year and a half, started at 64 (yikes!!) with a drumming background (50 years) and not versed in music theory at all. I am just trying to learn to play ( thanks for the great lessons SA)! I personally don't have enough time to experiment with different turnings and playing techniques. I do however appreciate learning about all the nuances in playing and turnings that everyone else does. Fabulous stuff people!
IMHO, I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to play. Keep experimenting, learning, it's a brave new world out there!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:56 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next