It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Is the Stick a percussion instrument? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Is the Stick a percussion instrument?
Gene, how about MAMI - Modern Amplified Musical Interface?
That's really what it all boils down to. It's an interface, and one which give you some of the most direct hands-to-the-tone contact you can get.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Love that too. The Stick as an interface to new musical dimensions is a cool idea! :D

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fingers equal piano hammers. Plus strumming is an alternate technique. As is slapping and popping. Kerchunk, claw etc. All percussively initiated.
Semantics.
Just don't try blowing into The Stick

Sam Antics

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

BSharp wrote:

You can't hold a note on drums (never, hardly ever, never say never, never say, "Never say never"). A drum has an attack and a decay, that's it. A drum roll might seem like sustain, but no more so than the standard mandolin tremolo technique. A snare has that backwards sound (Beatles tape running backwards), springs rebounding from the bottom and zapping to a quick release.

Seems that some Tabla techniques involve bending notes in a manner of speaking, Its what gives the instrument its unique sound. Is it as expressive as the Stick? Well, no, but I think it does fall into the realm of "never, hardly ever, never say never, never say, "Never say never"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UOmA3m5tTw

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I bought a Roland HandSonic just so I could play with Tabla!

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Is the Stick a "percussion" instrument?

Well, I think that as a main classification (a'la Mahillon) might be doing us a disservice...or rether we are beyond the scope of the band room poster "Instruments of the Orchestra"

As Emmett points out the academic (musicologist, well technically organologist I suppose) sphere can have it's own systems of classification beyond the European orchestral tradition.

the Hornbostel-Sachs system actually starts witht eh material/mechanical configuration...aerophone (air column instruments), membraphones (vibrating membranes), Chordophones (vibrating strings), ideophones (vibrating solids..big distincation is that the ideophone isn't under tension like membraphones and chordophones), and now electrophones (electrical/electronic oscillators)

there, the motive force applied is actually a secondary parameter (concussion, percussion, scraping, ...I assume someone by now has maybe included electromagnetic excitation a'la ebow)

That rabbit hole can go relatively deep "Everyone's a silver hero, everyone's a Captain Kirk...with orders to identify, classify and clarify, scrambling in the summer sky as ninety nine red balloons go by"

The closest relative that comes to mind for me is a clavichord where metal "tangents" strike the string at, and define, the terminal node -- the difference being that the "fret" (tangent) is being moved instead of the string.

but then what happens when I fret bow or pluck or thumb pop...am I now longer playing the stick?

don't get me wrong, I think the exercise of classifying can have value as a thinking tool as long as we see it as an analytical tool we apply to reality, not reality itself

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Bottom line, if ever the Stick finds itself in an orchestra, the player will be sitting on their own, and not in any 'section' .....and quite rightly so! :-)[/quote]
"The Stick Section"...I can't wait, a whole section of Stickists playing music written specially for the Stick, written for the color it adds, including percussive, proccessed, bowed, "prepared",...oh, yeah.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The Stick is a compulsion instrument.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
The Stick is a compulsion instrument.

Best description ever! I'm gonna keep this one Greg! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji1]

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:35 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

"Stick propulsion", you can fly, and fast!

JW - "...but then what happens when I fret bow or pluck or thumb pop...am I (no) longer playing the stick?"

You're playing the strings. The Stick employs a specific method on strings, each hand perpendicularly approaching the fretboard from opposite sides. It's the main technique the instrument was designed for, but strings can do so much more.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next