It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm

Ease of Playing with Carpel Tunnel or Arthritis 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Ease of Playing with Carpel Tunnel or Arthritis
For the guitarists/ bassists and Stickists out there having wrist problems. For me anyways, I always played bass in a pretty high up fashion. More Jeff Berlin than Duff Mckagen. Ya it doesn't look rock and roll but when I play bass, my wrist is in a straight line with my forearm. May have been Jaco that said "play standing up like you would sitting down with the bass resting on your legs"

If you watch Tim and Tom from Rage Against the Machine, these guys are good examples of proper technique. Same goes for the Stick imho. The more vertical the better, less wrist bend, easier to form chords, less strain.
Of course there are the guys that play with low slung style too. Steve, Pascal, Emmett himself have different "sling" styles....and seemingly no detriment to the output..

Guess we're all different, but for newbs (myself included) I think it's important to start with "recommended" rules, then adjust as time goes on.

cheers,
Saturday Night Wrist

Thu May 05, 2016 8:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Ease of Playing with Carpel Tunnel or Arthritis
Y'know, I've been playing seated a lot this last little bit, and jeez do I feel it in my wrist...

Put on the 'ole strap and stand there following the instructions, and boom. no sweat. Ergonomics...

Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 pm