It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

Gauges of strings 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Gauges of strings
Scronk wrote:
Do you guys have experience with heavy gauge? When a string-change becomes due I'm wondering about heavies for my Baritone Melody. I just want maximum ringing tone and I'm not interesting in string bending etc.
I've been using them all on my 36" Grand; Light, Medium and Heavy. Not with BM tuning though, just with MR. In my experience the Medium guage gives the maximum ringing tone. Regarding string bending, it is easy to bend glissando even on Heavy guage. The Heavy gave just as good sound as the Medium but notes faded out faster and the thickest strings sounded more "clunky" at high fret positions. Light guage was quite delicate to set up correctly so the poor thin strings was driving equally loud tones out of the pickups (especially problematic regarding the thinnest string). Whatever guage or tuning I use I generally want to tune the Stick a half-note higher than recommended by SE. I'm just finding that easier to play and better sounding (requires appropriate truss rod adjustment).

For the short-scaled SG-12 I'm sticking with stock Medium MR and doubt it can be any better than the SE recommended tuning.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

For those of you interested in unraveling the mystery of string gauges for the different tuning, feel free to share what you have, and use what I have compiled so far, in this thread:

https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16710&p=139870#p139870

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:11 am

From Stick Wire, August 1991.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:14 am

From Keepin' Touch, November 1994.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:22 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

txtapper wrote:
From Keepin' Touch, November 1994.

This is amazing, it will help me put together the missing gauges until we get information from an official set.

It is interesting how some gauges have changed over the years and others have stayed the same.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:24 am