It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:29 pm

FINALLY, getting started and a few early observations. 

Post FINALLY, getting started and a few early observations.
Good morning and happy holidays everyone. With my work schedule increasing and the holidays, I've hardly picked up the Railboard at all, save for getting a practice area set up. So after a few hours of noodling, checking the tuning, adjusting the amps I dug in. Wow. I was expecting the very basic technique would come easier having been a bass and guitar player for many years. Nope. Starting at square one. That was last night.
By this morning, and after watching Greg's Basic Freehand technique dvd, I can get most notes to sound more like a note and less like flatulence. Very nicely done material, and valuable for me. Thanks out to Greg.

It might be a little disappointing that I'm working only intervals and hand movement but all in all, STILL SMILING! I can tell this will take some time but I'm up for it.

An early observation that relates to the Railboard. (For what's it's worth.) With the frets being the same color as the fingerboard and having no muscle memory developed yet, I had to get lighting above my head which cast slight fret shadows so I could see where I was at. I'm sure this will not be an issue once the hand-ear-muscle memory thing kicks in. ( I seldom look at a guitar neck while playing.)

Anyways, I love it. :D
Happy Sticking!
Rick

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: FINALLY, getting started and a few early observations.
RickS wrote:
By this morning, and after watching Greg's Basic Freehand technique dvd, I can get most notes to sound more like a note and less like flatulence. Very nicely done material, and valuable for me. Thanks out to Greg.

It might be a little disappointing that I'm working only intervals and hand movement but all in all, STILL SMILING! I can tell this will take some time but I'm up for it.

Hi Rick,

Glad the DVD is working for you. The impact of hand movement on tone is obvious to anyone who tries it. Free your hands and your digits will follow...

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I found the same thing regarding the frets. they almost appeared invisible to me. Ive gotten used to it and its not a problem anymore

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:41 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hi Rick.

Thanks for your honest articulation of what's happening for you now.

I can tell you're determined and a musician you'll be shredding soon enough, and at the threshold you'll come out guns blazing, like the Millennium Falcon flying out of the The Death Star engulfed in flames. :lol:

Curious, you're observations about the Railboard. It's like a lurking quersion in my mind as I've poured myself over the pics, so thanks for clarifying. I'm sure I'll dig it once I eventually get one and as you say I'll be lucky enough to have some muscle memory.

Enjoy finding new muscle mate, and the pleasure of moving in a different way.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Congrats, Rick, on that new Railboard! I think we joined the forum and ordered our Railboards around the same time. Mine's coming soon.

Anyhoo, I ordered a wood 10-string off of Ebay right after putting in the Railboard order, and I've been playing it for a week less than we were waiting on the Railboards, now around 113 days or so for me. It took me a good couple of weeks before I felt like I was making sounds, and my truss needed a lot of adjusting--something your Railboard fresh from Stick won't need to worry about. I'm told truss adjustments are few on the Railboards, but my wooden one was nigh unplayable until I saw Greg's truss adjustment Youtube video and let it out some.

You'll pick it up quick, I'm sure. It all seems a bit strange for otherwise-experienced musicians at first. I'm not sure who has the advantage: guitar players or keyboardists or sometimes even drummers?

Cheers!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
...I'm not sure who has the advantage: guitar players or keyboardists or sometimes even drummers?

....advantage has the stick player, quiet sure...

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I meant among people who can already play a different instrument, who usually picks up the Stick fastest when first starting out?

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
I meant among people who can already play a different instrument, who usually picks up the Stick fastest when first starting out?

...Hi paigan0, I don't know which instrument is the best starter for playing stick afterward...

...but lets say it's the didgeridoo...

...now you have all informations to start with the didgeroidoo and when masterd this go on to the stick...may be your faster than all others....

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:21 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I would think a pianist would have an advantage.

cheers,
k

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I agree with Kev.
Pianists may have an edge because their hands are naturally separated.
Not sure what other instruments this happens with though as I can only play the guitar(legend in my own mind)I am by no means a professional musician.
One thing I have noticed is that when I show people the stick, the guy that isn't a professional musician seems to pick it up faster that someone that is a professional musician. Not sure why that is or maybe its because I don't know how to explain it properly?
But I mean it has strings and frets just like other instruments right?
So if you put in the effort and just revel in the small accomplishments and stick with it lol, the progress you make is monumental in a short period of time.

I found it pretty frustrating at first as I came to it with no knowledge or clue what to do. But I think that goes with most anybody that starts any new instrument. But especially true with the stick I think.
I must admit that the technique was totally baffling for the first few months.
But with the DVD's, resources on the net and a couple lessons(I should do more) it really makes total sense now. THis also has helped my ear training and note recognition. Which in turn helps my guitar playing although that's pretty rare nowadays.
So when I talk to others about the stick, even seasoned musicians from piano or guitar, their eyes glaze over and you can see the wheels turning and brain cells burning up as they try to decifer what I am saying lol.
I love that blank expression on their faces.

Just my 2 cents. Well .5 cents now with the CAN dollar.

:D

Rosewood Alto #5764

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery