It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm

Anyone want to part with a Stick? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Anyone want to part with a Stick?
Hi all....

I've had an open order with SE for quite some time, and they are telling me that they have no pickups now and don't know when they are coming in. I understand that custom instrument can take time....but I am also curious to see if anyone has a stick out there that they are willing to part with? Not looking for an ancient one, but one in good shape and reasonable pricing.

You know...maybe a spare, or you replaced it with another, or you're just not playing it?

While I'll leave my order with SE open, I really want to get started on this instrument....so getting a second one ahead of time might be something I consider.

Thanks everyone

TP

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:49 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Anyone want to part with a Stick?
Hello Thomas. I thought I'd let you know I've just posted one, it is in excellent shape, has great tone, and a brand new set of strings. Also includes the Greg Howard Basic Free Hands Technique DVD and Emmet's book.

Check it out if you're still looking:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10283

Dave #1821

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:44 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I saw that...and it looks great...quick question for you.

With the shorter scale stick...do the markers still line up the same for notes? On the newer sticks we see 2 frets below the first marker, on this one, there is only one. Just trying to not mess myself up here

TP

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:07 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thomas_Powers wrote:
I saw that...and it looks great...quick question for you.

With the shorter scale stick...do the markers still line up the same for notes? On the newer sticks we see 2 frets below the first marker, on this one, there is only one. Just trying to not mess myself up here

Yep. They line up the same. The only playing difference is that there is one more "tap-able" note.

Railboards use a 34" scale as well, but also have an X-fret. This is accomplished by having a fret where the nut would be on an instrument where open strings would be played, and moving the actual nut further from the bridge by an arbitrary distance (since the open note isn't important). So the scale of the space between the frets is the same, but the string length suspended between the nut and bridge is different.

Edit: I should say that the strings might feel different as you bend them on the board, but it's likely very minute.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
Yep. They line up the same. The only playing difference is that there is one more "tap-able" note.

True. It's like someone added one fret lower to an existing instrument. I have always wondered why that was done.

Dave #1821

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:37 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

agfrag wrote:
Quote:

True. It's like someone added one fret lower to an existing instrument. I have always wondered why that was done.

I think it was done for a few reasons, such as accommodating the 36" scale, but I like to think it was done because it better completes a pattern presented by the tuning and inlays; e.g. the bass-side note at the 7th fret inlay (2nd inlay) is the same as the lowest note on the next higher string at the X-fret position. Seeing as the "open" note is more or less ignored.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

X-fret or long scales Was used on the Graphite Sticks about 15 years ago. Over the next few months, Emmett explored using this on wood instruments after which it became the norm.

I've seen others switch seamlessly between the two. As for me, once I got time on an instrument with an x-fret, that has become my preference. The difference with scale on the Railboard is indiscernible.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery