It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 am

Magical Enchantment Continued 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Magical Enchantment Continued
I was remembering that it said in those websites on creativity that innovation comes from recognizing patterns and also the difference between innovation and creativity is that innovation implies that the invention is useful or valuable to the human community and not just the fact that you were the first person to paint on your tv monitor. Some of the things that make creativity innovative is that its either faster, lighter, stronger, cheaper, etc... In the case of the Model T, Mr. Ford was able to make a car that was "good enough" for the price and that's what I think I'm onto here.

My objective is to play long, complex lines that are easy to remember that will work over anything no matter what note you start on.

Attached is a file showing the incarnations of the Defy Expectations scale but made to repeat sooner so that the fingerings are symmetrical the way a whole tone or half-whole scale is, only with just a touch more complexity. This is easier to remember than those complex scales but more complex than those simple scales. Notice it's labeled Symmetrical FINGERINGS and not symmetrical scales.

The second document shows how to apply the ideas.

You'll also need a way to crawl along the edge on one or two strings so I've put in some suggestions for that and how to memorize them with lines and arrows. I suspect the 2nd and 3rd of the three examples for crawling along the edge are probably easier to remember than the first. I've put numbers above how many pitches are grouped together in the series. The second scale says 2,3,2 and the third says 2,3,3. That should help in trying to remember how they're configured. At the bottom of the 2nd document is just a few more symmetrical fingerings.

Don't forget to try them with string skipping now and then.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:26 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Magical Enchantment Continued
I tried these with first skipping the last note of the first three upwards, then skipping the last note of the second three downwards alternating like that as I go across the strings and its both easy and helps the complexity as well as the variety of the lines.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:54 am