It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:55 am

Stick teachers 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Stick teachers
As a community, I have to say how blessed and fortunate we are to have the great teachers/players that help and inspire us in so many ways. Personally, I have had the good fortune of studying with Steve A., who inspired me to get my theory chops together (still working on that one!), Greg Howard who embodies all things Stick and thus the lessons are multi-faceted and tailored to where you are in your playing (I, still a rank beginner) and as of late I had the pleasure of taking a lesson with Dave Brosky. He has a whole other approach that is simple, informative and fun!! He puts a lot of energy and time into his lessons and has some interesting teaching devices (Chord Bingo!) that are quite helpful. I am sure there are other fine teachers on the instrument out there, these are just 3 that have put me on my way and helped me. I am always humbled by everyone in this community..... Bret Bottomless, Cubert , Martino, Tom G, Bob Culbertson, Kevin Keith and the list goes on. I am grateful for the continued inspiration.
:ugeek:

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:26 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Stick teachers
I appreciate the affirmation Randy. Personally it's been very gratifying to witness musical growth from my students. To see a smile from a realization or accomplishment is what it's all about. I love to share my knowledge and experiences with others. This is the spiritual side of the business. I've been teaching music now for 44 years and that sense of achievement and accomplishment by the student is what inspires me.

And if by chance someone is motivated by this thread, I have space in my schedule for only 2-3 more students. Inquiries best to email SteveAFran@aol.com
It's always a bit awkward to solicit. Just know lessons are available
Thanks

BTW upcoming..
Long Beach (NY) Jazz Festival that I produce is in two weeks
www.longbeachjazzfest.com
Oct.10-15 I have five solo shows in the Czech Republic and possibly two TV shows there
Steve Adelson (Lee Vatip)

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I totally agree with you
I've been taking some lessons through Skype with Guillermo Cides and through meetings with French stick players and I must confess I could not enjoy so much playing without all of them
By your own things can really quickly get confusing so Yes we should raise our glass to them
:)

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:00 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

@6010 - I know what you mean.... Those French cats can really play....

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:15 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Randy,
Wow! Thank you so much for the kind words and compliments. I love to teach and have been doing it for a long time- I think around 1978. (OK, I don’t want any “I wan’t born yet jokes, my parents didn't even meet yet, well, Dad had Mom's number..... ”) :D

There were key individuals who helped me when I needed a lift to get to that next plateau or explained something in a way that really clicked without any pretention or heavy overlays. That’s what I strive to do to provide those times to others.

To many times, IMHO, people think if they take a lesson that they are admitting defeat or are deficient in some way. NOPE. I think it’s the exact opposite by folks that have a vision of where they want to go, or reaffirm where they are now.

It’s a need to explore and broaden what you already are great at doing. The same reason people take cooking classes, or scuba lessons, or immersive language experiences.

Randy, thanks –this was really unexpected and really welcome today. And your “chips” are in the mail!

Dave Brosky “DBro”
dbrosky2@gmail.com or here by PM
Lessons via SKYPE, Google + and Mind Meld

Last edited by dbrosky on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Dbro... last time you said "chips" were in the mail, they were from a cow :lol: !!

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
Greg Howard who embodies all things Stick and thus the lessons are multi-faceted and tailored to where you are in your playing (I, still a rank beginner)
:ugeek:

Cheers, Randy! But you are no "beginner" my friend. I love what you are doing these days, and can't wait to see more.

I enjoy teaching all aspects of the instrument: technique, theory, arranging, setups, you set the agenda.

And to anyone else interested, I've got good availability on Mondays!

See: http://www.greghoward.com/free_hands/video_lessons.html for more details.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I happen to live in a part of Australia with extremely atrocious internet. I wish I could manage to get skype lessons every now and then, but data for me costs a million dollars.

I've had a couple of years ,while I was studying my music degree on bass, where I haven't played much stick at all. I'm getting back into it now, but it's tricky figuring out exactly what I want to do.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:50 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Am I the only one who thinks this when Dave mentions "the opposite"?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXlu4guvWDE[/youtube]

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Daniel,
I think it's the opposite of that opposite I think. :D

Thank you for the "O"mage!
Dave B "DBro"

ps. that was great!

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:29 am