It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 7:56 pm

Change 12-string MR to 12-string standard = change strings? 

Post Change 12-string MR to 12-string standard = change strings?
Exactly as it says - I've just bought a grand stick and it's in MR but I want to change it to standard tuning. The only change seems to be raising the melody side by a tone but, as I have no spare strings, I don't know if MR uses lighter strings and standard would snap them.

As a brand new stickist, I'd appreciate some advice. Expect lots of moron questions over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Rosewood Grand #1496, Matched Reciprocal

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes"

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post Re: Change 12-string MR to 12-string standard = change strin
arcoddath wrote:
Exactly as it says - I've just bought a grand stick and it's in MR but I want to change it to standard tuning. The only change seems to be raising the melody side by a tone but, as I have no spare strings, I don't know if MR uses lighter strings and standard would snap them.

As a brand new stickist, I'd appreciate some advice. Expect lots of moron questions over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Welcome to the group!

There's nothing at all wrong with that question. I've been playing for 13 years and still have to double check the Stick tech page before I do something as simple as tweak my truss rod. Some of us are more of the tweaking type than others. Sit tight, you'll get your answer soon.

In the meantime, you should post some pictures of your new instrument for everyone to see!

MM

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:00 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hello there, and welcome! There are no moronic questions. Only morons who ask them. :lol:
All kidding aside, you'll get your answers (and then some, if I know this group) in pretty short order. I haven't done enough tech work on a Stick to give you an answer that's 100% accurate; I'm guessing that Greg will be able to answer you in full detail.
My GUESS is that you might have to fiddle with the intonation on the melody strings to account for the increase in tension. Whether you can still use the same strings or not with a whole step change upward...I don't know. (Do you know how old those strings are? Did the seller let you know what gauges they are?)
Good luck, and enjoy...ask, ask, ask!!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

arcoddath wrote:

Cheers
Welcome to the forum.

You would definitely want to get new strings, the 1st string will probably break and the rest will feel way too tight if you tune them up a whole step. Check for wear on the underside of the bass strings to see if you nee to replace them, too, or you can just order a set of melody strings.

If you don't know what general gauge is on there, write to Cambria (cambria@stick.com) and let he know which instrument you bought. She can tell you if it had light, medium or heavy strings on it. I think she' not in until Monday, so give her some time to get back to you.

Changes you will have to make

1. Minor intonation change

Depending on which gauge you have on there now, the break between the thinnest wound string and the thickest melody string might change. The thinnest wound melody string should be longer than the thickest plain string.

You can see that in this image, which is the Classic medium tuning, strings 3 and 4 (from right to left) are the ones in consideration.

On the Classic light, string 4 is not wound, so the break happens between 4 and 5.

You may need to shorter all the sting just a hair, as they are all thinner and will need shoter vibrating lengths to have correct intonation.

You may also need to raise the lowest two bridge screws just a little (5 and 6) as these strings will sit lower in the V slot since they are thinner and also raise the nut slightly under those string as well (you didn't say if you have Flaps of nut screws...)

AND

If you have a Stickup, on the instrument, you will also need to compensate for the change in plain-wound string positioning if that happens, by adjusting the poles under the string to match. If you don't have a Stickup, then the lower end of the pickups might need to come up a little for more volume under those thinner strings.

I hope that helps...

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm not sure what will happen if you just dial your current strings up a whole step. I'm guessing it would probably be ok in the short term (but don't hold me accountable if one breaks ;) ).

I do know that the strings SE ships for classic tuning are slightly lighter than the MR strings. If you use light gauge strings, the ratio of wound to unwound strings also changes in the melody set.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Damn! Mine and Greg's posts passed in the air :D

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I was playing MR for quite a while, and decided to go Classic… tuned the melody side up with no problems at all and the tension feels great…. I have medium gauge.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I was playing MR for quite a while, and decided to go Classic… tuned the melody side up with no problems at all and the tension feels great…. I have medium gauge.

Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor