It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

angled belt hook vs non-angled belt hook 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: angled belt hook vs non-angled belt hook
I don't like the angle of the belt hook, as it causes stress for my left hand.
So, I'm going to fabricate a non-angled belt hook for better wrist angle.

I normally play laying down, so I seldom use the belt hook.
For sitting or standing, I use my home made stick stand.
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12070

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:08 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I went with a non angled pedestal as well. Found on my rail board my left wrist was bent too much. Feels great now. I ordered non angled on my SG12. Just be careful that if you put any new pedestal on that the screws don’t go thru and push up the pickup. I almost destroyed my pick up as the screws sent were too long and they pushed the pickup out of place but I fixed it so got lucky it didn’t break. That was scary. I ended up making a block out of wood to make up for the longer screws.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:14 am

Just the opposite here. I started with a straight hook on my Railboard, but ultimately switched to a standard angle. I usually play seated with the hook on a dowel across my thighs, and I realized that I usually played with the dowel at the same angle as the standard belt hook. As a result, I could hardly play standing at all, with the hook in an actual belt!

I minimize the left wrist strain by making sure to keep my elbow out and wrist straight as possible under the circumstances.

Railboard #6965

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:36 pm

I've found myself in the same spot, when that additional rotation angle produced by the standard hook pedestal affects my left wrist - it literally starts to be painful after about an hour of practice.

Might be a technique problem, but I want to try out that non-angled hook pedestal.

I am too far away from US to order it from Stick enterprises, and this pedestal is not listed on their site even to make that order.
Also I want to keep the original pedestal, in case if I would not like the non-angled version - so sawing off the original part was off the table.

------

Therefore, I've designed a replacement 3d printed pedestal part of my own.
I have not tried to play a lot with it yet, but at least it fits.

I've shared the model and Freecad sources on thingiverse, so anybody interested could print it:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6257554

I've kept the original inclination of about 9 degrees "towards face".

Height of the pedestal is in the middle between high and low sides original part had.
This makes it (presumably) about 4mm higher than a sawed-off part.

Both big screws I had from the factory - are the same length - so with a replacement pedestal one screw goes a bit deeper into Stick's body, and other one goes about the same amount shallower. (compared to original part)

Hope this would help somebody.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MR 10 Railboard #7142

Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:46 am