It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:08 am

How is your practicing going? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post How is your practicing going?

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 10, 2015 6:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: How is your practicing going?
I would practice 12 hour a day if I could. But I can't. So 2 hours and I feel human 3 hours and I'm good. I get up before 5 am to practice. So I work on jazz studies and chapman stick related technique as well (repeated notes etc). I have at least one 1 year or more "piece" which I put one hour into and then other tunes for the 2nd hour....the third hour is key for me, that is where the magic happens, transcribing free play etc. if I have a gig coming up (pretty much at least once a week) I need to do repitoire work for those gigs for at least 2 days. So..... I'm a big fan of practice. Coltrane used to practice 12 hours, play a 2 hour gig, practice in the bathroom between set and then go home and practice more. And he was a genius to boot. But all things must be balanced, so I practice when I can. I remember when I met Metheny he told be if you want to be great you need to devote at least one year of your life to practice for 12 hours per day. I did, but I'm not a genius so I wasnt "great" at the end I was better though.

So practice on.... The only thing better is playing live (musically speaking). Gotta go alam set for 4:45 lol.
Brett

Sun May 10, 2015 7:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Practicing is going poorly for me. School this semester has been absolutely killing me as far as any free time. The time I do get to play I spend doing general technique exercises, practicing some in progress tunes, some noodling, and, most importantly, thinking about what I'm going to really put time into playing when the semester is over. I'm a little concerned about then having too much free time right after the semester ends and I'll get lazy. It's sort of a catch 22, when I don't have much time to play is when I want to the most! I guess I have a summer class, but it's not the same sort of time suck.

Welp! Back to work! Exams and semester project due this week.

Sun May 10, 2015 10:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Songs, songs and more songs.
Recently worked up Black Hole Sun, Wrecking Ball,........ Yesterday, and Something.....Beatles....
Thanks Mr. Tipton.
Got some Metallica in the works too, cause its about time someone played some damned heavy shit on this thing.
After I play the newest stuff I've learned, I practice every song I know......try to get at least 2 hrs a day in usually more, time really flies by on the Stick. No kids to get in the way, big bubbles, no troubles.

I've heard of scales......dystopian, utopian, mixedupolydian, whocarestonic, but dont know any......prolly help my playing, but Im lazy....

cheers,
kev

Sun May 10, 2015 11:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Whatcha all working on? As always I'm curious what everyone is practicing, playing of late. Whatcha studying? What is kicking your ass? Where are ya headed?

For me it's 'Cause We Ended As Lovers by Jeff Beck, and about 8 other tunes... Outlining chord changes via Tenths with the LH, trying to make up cool rock solos while keeping the "riff" going in the LH. Incorporating the RH thumb, and writing some tunes. And a bunch of other stuff!

How about you guys?

Sounds great, man!

I have become used to the RH stuff, and now I am trying to get my LH to move away from slow bass lines, on over to more arpeggiated lines. In listening to Emmett's Parallel Galaxy a whole lot more in the past month, I can hear tons of great left hand work there that I'd like to be able to incorporate into my own playing.

Other than that: a couple of songs: Some Beatles songs, simple classical standards, the Super Mario Bro. theme (my ten year old wants me to learn it - and it's a neat tune), and working on tasteful originals. Covers are hard for me to sink into, though. It's far simpler to noodle and experiment......

I practice anywhere from 30 min to 1.5 hours a day right now.

A long ways to grow! :D

Mon May 11, 2015 9:44 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

The answer is, not much. I'm writing my grimoire, and it feels like it will take forever.

But I am working on one song - Manhas de Carnaval. Beautiful song! I'm working on bass+chords and bass+melody, and working a little bit on bass+chords in the left hand.

My Stick is a Bb Stick now, so instead of A minor I'm playing it in B minor.

R

Mon May 11, 2015 11:06 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
I would practice 12 hour a day if I could. But I can't... I remember when I met Metheny he told be if you want to be great you need to devote at least one year of your life to practice for 12 hours per day.
Brett

Hi Brett,

Would you recommend that this be 12 hours straight? Or would broken up in 2 six hour periods or even 3 four hour periods work as well? At this season of my life, I think realistically, the most I could set aside for practice was maybe 8 hours/day, 5 days per week. I don't even know if I could do that with out some structured agenda that someone wiser than I would have to come up with.

Here's to good intentions!
Mike

Mon May 11, 2015 3:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
Got some Metallica in the works too, cause its about time someone played some damned heavy shit on this thing.

I play "For Whom the Bell Tolls" on my Grand :twisted:

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Mon May 11, 2015 5:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike kemp wrote:
Brett Bottomley wrote:
I would practice 12 hour a day if I could. But I can't... I remember when I met Metheny he told be if you want to be great you need to devote at least one year of your life to practice for 12 hours per day.
Brett

Hi Brett,

Would you recommend that this be 12 hours straight? Or would broken up in 2 six hour periods or even 3 four hour periods work as well? At this season of my life, I think realistically, the most I could set aside for practice was maybe 8 hours/day, 5 days per week. I don't even know if I could do that with out some structured agenda that someone wiser than I would have to come up with.

Here's to good intentions!
Mike

well I would spread it out but we are talking about an extreme regiment. I find that I can't work on anything for more than 20-30 minutes without losing focus, so I change my focus to something else. I find that I can do 2 hours straight on 4 concepts but after that I need a break.

Brett

Mon May 11, 2015 6:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hi Peeps.

I'm trying to make one simple, but big attitude adjustment to action my practice "routine".

That is too simply think of practice as being accumulative as opposed to obsessing, like "I have to practice NOW..>>!"

So I'm practicing some drum pad stuff, right after this post, for no more than 30 mins and then onto Stick for 30 before dinner. I'm tired of making myself tired with the "thought" of practice.

See ya.. :)

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Tue May 12, 2015 1:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery