It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

3 Fingers vs 4... 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post 3 Fingers vs 4...

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: 3 Fingers vs 4...
You did it now....this a point of debate, and everyone has decided that their particular method is the best. I've tried both methods, and still can't play a lick, so don't put to much weight to what I prefer, but since you asked.....use all of your fingers....meaning 4. It's there for a reason, so why put yourself at a disadvantage on purpose. Django R. lost the use of some of his digits...so he had no other choice, but if he did, I'm sure he would have used all of his fingers, which is what I believe you should do.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:09 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:23 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I think the answer to the Everlasting Debate is hidden in your statement, "Greg is pretty badass, using mostly a 3 finger approach".

I find the three-finger approach works best for me, but that doesn't mean I can never use four. I'd say use the fingering that gives you the most consistent tone and fluid motion (might be deferent from song to song). That'll make for the best music.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ha ! You've opened the hornets nest but again whatever works for you. Steve and Greg, maybe no two greater examples. I guess the guitar with its long history has developed well established playing styles and fingerings, the STICK is still relatively new.
I cant live without the 4th finger on both hands but clearly many can, and very sucessfully. Maybe having it "as an option" is good? I think the more you play, the more you find you own thing and thats healthy. Which is probably not much help, but fun to think about! :D

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Personally, i use 3 fingers (but I played trumpet). I'm saving for a railboard. I'd agree - try both systems. take a few lessons from both guys. :)

oh, i'm wayne in minnesota (twin cities). I would very much like to meet a stick player in the area and actually see (& hopefully try a stick).

Thanks!

Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:04 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The short answer is: do what works for you. Try both approaches.
It's like drummers having a debate over matched grip vs. traditional grip. Who cares? Do the ideas come across? Is it good music and is it well-played?
Can you really tell the difference when listening with your eyes closed? I would say no way. You can identify someone's particular voice and style after a while, but not whether they used 3 fingers or 4 (if you never saw a video of them).
I can only speak for myself: Greg's 3-finger/arm energy technique works for me because 1) my pinky's are short and I have to move and twist my right hand in order to make it play along the same plane as the other fingers, and 2) I've been a user and proponent of Steve Smith's drumming techniques since 2002, and I see a direct parallel between the kinds of arm energy used in that kind of drumming and the arm energy of Greg's style. Plus, I made much better progress when I started applying the 3-finger/arm motion approach.
I'm not trying to sell you. I'm merely saying that it works for me. I had a lesson with Steve at Free Hands Academy in August, and he asked me to use a 4-finger approach, just for that lesson. Steve's all about economy and efficiency of motion - what's the easiest way for you to do something? What feels the most comfortable? What is ergonomically the least intrusive? Why over-think it? I saw the logic behind his particular 4-finger approach, and I saw how you can relate the geometry of scales with 4 fingers, assigning each finger a step of the scale. I see it as a very intelligent option with some very real benefits to it. I ended up coming to the conclusion that it just isn't the right choice for me. But I'm really glad I tried it, and I'm glad that I now have a little experience behind my decision.
Really, you're going to need your 4 fingers in your left hand for the chordal stuff, anyway, and it helps getting around the larger intervals of the 5ths tuning, so at least ONE of your hands is going to employ 4-finger technique. As for your right hand: try both techniques! Maybe you'll be able to use them both for different situations. No limits!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I use 2x4 (or 5 if you count the occasional thumb trick)
At first the little finger is noticeably weaker - you can feel it and you can hear it. Also, it's shorter.

But... maybe with training it will be a worthy companion for the others?

If you don't train you'll never know, on the other hand ;) if you do, then you might waste precious time for a method that you don't use.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oy.......
That's my opinion
SA

Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery