It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Stick Lessons via Skype and Facetime 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick Lessons via Skype and Google video chat
jpow112 wrote:
Many thanks Greg for the Skype lesson - given me some really sound directions to work on-

I'll be back for more!

John
John,

You're doing great! It's so nice to see the concepts I've been writing about here and teaching for the past few years put to such good use. Looking forward to the next one.

skype lessons in 6 different time zones this week...

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Greg!

Thanks so much for my first Skype lesson with you the other day. Wow, just amazing and so good to be getting that sustenance from a master Stickist. It was a little like a tidal wave of info, totally practical and inspiring. Now I know what it must feel for my drum students.

The point form msgs through Skype really helped to cement the concepts. I'm looking forward to making lessons with you into a good habit and at the rate your charging it's totally open for all to enjoy.

Essential Stickist stuff.

Much Sticky Love.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Radkon wrote:
Greg!

Thanks so much for my first Skype lesson with you the other day. Wow, just amazing and so good to be getting that sustenance from a master Stickist. It was a little like a tidal wave of info, totally practical and inspiring. Now I know what it must feel for my drum students.

The point form msgs through Skype really helped to cement the concepts. I'm looking forward to making lessons with you into a good habit and at the rate your charging it's totally open for all to enjoy.

Essential Stickist stuff.

Much Sticky Love.

Hey Konrad,

It was a great session with you. You pick things up super-quick!

October has been amazing. I've had lessons in 8 different time zones this month.

Thanks to those of you who have given it a try.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Hey Greg.

A quick amp question on this thread if I may.

Is it size that's important for covering the 40hz range i.e. 15" speaker, given that I only have a 12
' speaker, or is it a combination of amp eq, or bass amp being made to cover that range.

I was hoping I could upgrade to a RCF 15" and eventually get my bass end covered. Do you have any other PA suggestions, or would your ideal rig be different to any of these options.

Lovin' the Skype help.

Cheers

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Radkon wrote:
given that I only have a 12' speaker,

Whoa! That's gotta be bigger than Marty McFly's speaker in the opening from Back to the Future!

http://www.samsonstick.com

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Radkon wrote:
Hey Greg.

A quick amp question on this thread if I may.

Is it size that's important for covering the 40hz range i.e. 15" speaker, given that I only have a 12
' speaker, or is it a combination of amp eq, or bass amp being made to cover that range.

I was hoping I could upgrade to a RCF 15" and eventually get my bass end covered. Do you have any other PA suggestions, or would your ideal rig be different to any of these options.

Lovin' the Skype help.

Cheers
Hey Konrad,

Glad you're digging the lessons. As far as amps go, unless you want to be over-exerting yourself when you play those low notes (Eb, D, Db, C) you want to make sure your amp will reproduce those frequencies.

This is one reason the Stick Amp never went into production. It was an amazing-sounding amp, but simply couldn't produce the fundamental frequency of those notes as well as it needed to.

Low D is around 37 Hz. Very few amps with small speakers can reproduce this as well as they can the low E or F, so you get an imbalance in the sound which can make you play harder on those notes. When you see ±3dB that's usually -3dB ;)

The StepAbout is such a good preamp for The Stick because the bass eq is specifically set to boost those very low frequencies without boosting the 100-150 Hz range. I asked Andreas to modify the circuit specifically to do this for the StepAbout.

So whatever eq you use, it needs to have some subtlety to it. You need to be able to boost below 80 Hz or so to compensate for the lack of natural bass response in the speaker, without boosting the frequencies above 80 Hz. Unless I'm making an incorrect assumption about it, a preamp like the SP2, for example, can't do this, because the eq is not designed to do this.

The SWR SM400 and SM500 also have a paragraphic 4 band eq that makes it easy to deal with very specific frequency bands quite easily.

It may not be the case that your amp can't reproduce the frequencies, it may just have an easier time reproducing the higher bass frequencies, so you may find it harder achieve the balance among those low notes you might be looking for.

I hope that helps.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Thanx heaps Greg.

I've moved my question to the equipment forum.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Greg,
Thanks for the lesson. It really helped with feeling more comfortable with the instrument and my positioning with it. The pace was great and I felt very comfortable.

Now time to settle in with the DVD to review.

Until next time.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:26 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I wish the StepABout would get delivered to SE... I have been waiting since October.... I am just about ready to go another route with the pre amp thing... :|

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:00 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
I wish the StepABout would get delivered to SE... I have been waiting since October.... I am just about ready to go another route with the pre amp thing... :|
Hi Randy,

I just heard from Heiko that they should be shipped to the US next week.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next