It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Stick Lessons via Skype and Facetime 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Stick Lessons via Skype and Google video chat
Have you tried the Google+ Hangout feature? I think they use something different from Google Video, it's meant for group chats but works well also on one-to-one.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

February has been busy for lessons.

7 different time zones/ 4 hemispheres
2 languages
8 different tunings
ages 20-65
jazz, rock, blues, celtic, classical, polyrhythms, two-handed bass, odd times, note identification, voice leading, and even geometric based improvisation (fascinating...).

I even taught some 4-fingered melody :o

I don't have a ton of gigs in March, so it's a good time to start if you've been thinking about it.

reasonable rates, flexible scheduling.

No reading required, all skill levels welcome.

just email me at stickist@aol.com.

more info at: http://www.greghoward.com/free_hands/video_lessons.html

free your hands and your music will follow...

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

A couple of new students this week, reminding me of the most essential element of rock music...repeated notes. A solid approach to this element is so important.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNNUHKZWLw[/youtube]

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rate change

Hi everyone, just a note that I've raised my rates just a touch. $45/hour $25/ 1/2 hour.

They are still very reasonable compared to other teachers' rates, I think.

To sign up for lessons drop me an email at stickist@aol.com.

More details at http://www.greghoward.com/free_hands/video_lessons.html

Thanks to all of you who have put your faith in me as a teacher. I learn a lot from you, too.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post A price increase? Absolutely outrageous!
$45?! $25?! OUTRAGEOU..errr.. ummm...

Wait...

Local price for lessons for guitar (by someone not as accomplished as Greg is on the stick) is in the $50/$30 range.. I've been an acoustic guitarist for 40+ years. My son is also a guitarist but likes the hard/progressive rock side of things. As such, once I taught him rudimentary basics, I got him lessons with someone in his own genre. I pay much more than what Greg charges for that!

This is a great deal folx... Probably one that I will take advantage of once I have that hunk of wood in my hands..

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:04 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

That reminds me: I need to set up a lesson after the holiday before things get silly busy around here.
Greg's lessons are a bargain at any price, but at $45 they're STILL a great deal (not to mention a great investment).
:D

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I find it absolutely hilarious that my monthly savings from canceling my subscription to (the excellent publication) Guitar Techniques, which I did earlier today, is exactly equal to the increase of my projected monthly budget for Stick lessons with Greg.

Out with the old, in with the new! I plan to splurge on educational materials, including concert DVDs, from Stick Enterprises when I order my Stick.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Glad you all think it is such a good deal. I realize I could charge more, but that would price some of my students out of lessons. And I have a couple of students who take more than one lesson a week, which perhaps they wouldn't if that were the case.

My goal in teaching is to turn people on to this great way of making music, and to learn as much as I can about how to teach this method. I learn so much from my students, especially since we're all coming from different instruments and musical backgrounds.

Seeking the common core and then applying it to established genres and new musical forms is really interesting to me, a process full of discovery...

Looking forward to the our next skype meeting...

Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I'm excited to report that I had my first Stick lesson with Greg last week, and boy was it valuable. For those of you who have already has lessons with Greg, you already know that he's an excellent teacher, but as a newbie I thought that I might be useful to mention my experience...

During the lesson we covered fundamental things like how to position the Stick while seated, how to use the hands instead of the fingers, how to get better tone, what tuning to use, books to get etc. He was also kind enough to walk me through an entire Stick set-up as well.

Now I have a much better idea of how to physically deal with the demands of Stick playing as well as how to start thinking about music for the instrument. As an added bonus, the instrument also feels and plays amazing.

I should also mention that having it on Skype seemed like an incredibly normal way to go about things and it didn't slow us down at all. In fact, Greg was able to give me really nuanced set-up and playing advice by just observing what I was doing.

So, for any folks out there on the fence about lessons, just do it. It's incredibly helpful and you'll really enjoy working with Greg.

J.

10-String Grand Stick #5466

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Indeed! lessons w/GH are always well worth the time and investment. Let alone a command of the instrument, :ugeek: he has digested just about every aspect of the Stick… and is able to relay this in a fashion that one can comprehend. Bravo! :ugeek:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:52 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next