It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Stick Lessons via Skype and Facetime 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick Lessons via Skype and Google video chat
jwanka wrote:
I'm excited to report that I had my first Stick lesson with Greg last week, and boy was it valuable. For those of you who have already has lessons with Greg, you already know that he's an excellent teacher, but as a newbie I thought that I might be useful to mention my experience...

During the lesson we covered fundamental things like how to position the Stick while seated, how to use the hands instead of the fingers, how to get better tone, what tuning to use, books to get etc. He was also kind enough to walk me through an entire Stick set-up as well.

Now I have a much better idea of how to physically deal with the demands of Stick playing as well as how to start thinking about music for the instrument. As an added bonus, the instrument also feels and plays amazing.

I should also mention that having it on Skype seemed like an incredibly normal way to go about things and it didn't slow us down at all. In fact, Greg was able to give me really nuanced set-up and playing advice by just observing what I was doing.

So, for any folks out there on the fence about lessons, just do it. It's incredibly helpful and you'll really enjoy working with Greg.

J.

Thanks for the nod, Joseph. It's amazing what you can accomplish in an hour. Newbies particularly benefit from a lesson, I think, as it's easy to be intimidated by something so different,. But, The Stick is pretty fun to just dive into and start exploring as well.

rclere wrote:
Indeed! lessons w/GH are always well worth the time and investment. Let alone a command of the instrument, :ugeek: he has digested just about every aspect of the Stick… and is able to relay this in a fashion that one can comprehend. Bravo! :ugeek:

Randy! I have such dedicated students and your progress is due to your hard work. Whatever role I am playing is easy with someone as committed as yourself. I learn as much about how to teach from giving the lessons as my students do about how to play. A good deal all around, I'd say.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lessons in 8 time zones this week...

Geo Logical

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Sooooo, just got my third lesson with Greg.......incredible what information you get in only half an hour, thank you very much Greg.
So much to learn and so Little time (just joking :D ).
I think i have to quit my Job although I have not told my wife already.....
I can really advise everybody to take some lessons from Greg. It gives you so much inside of what you can do with the chapman stick.
And you get to know all the things you cannot do.... mmmhhhhh and that can hurt.
I have a lot to practice these days but that is nice because this Instrument is sooooo incredible. Why didn´t I start earlier (I know I told you that as well Greg...).
Next friday another Lesson and I can´t wait....
Have a nice Weekend and Keep on tapping
Peter (a dutchman in Austria)

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

yeah man... after hooking up with Greg, my playing just expanded exponentially!! The cat knows the instrument, the set up, the board, the theory and is a good performance coach too!!! I took a little sabbatical from lessons but am starting up again next week. I generally do once a week or every other week. Staying consistent is the key! Good luck!

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

camerbreed wrote:
Sooooo, just got my third lesson with Greg.......incredible what information you get in only half an hour, thank you very much Greg.
So much to learn and so Little time (just joking :D ).
I think i have to quit my Job although I have not told my wife already.....
I can really advise everybody to take some lessons from Greg. It gives you so much inside of what you can do with the chapman stick.
And you get to know all the things you cannot do.... mmmhhhhh and that can hurt.
I have a lot to practice these days but that is nice because this Instrument is sooooo incredible. Why didn´t I start earlier (I know I told you that as well Greg...).
Next friday another Lesson and I can´t wait....
Have a nice Weekend and Keep on tapping
Peter (a dutchman in Austria)
Thanks,
Peter,
It's been a pleasure for me as well. You have great instincts. You'll do fine.

And Randy, your horse is ready, time to get back on and go for the brass ring!

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone tried this over a Satellite internet connection? I'm curious if the latency is an issue?

Stick is on order, so getting my ducks in a row in order to hit the ground running.

I'll also email over to Greg directly.

Thanks

TP

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thomas_Powers wrote:
Has anyone tried this over a Satellite internet connection? I'm curious if the latency is an issue?

It will definitely be a problem, though its severity will be determined by how pressed for time you are: if you budget five minutes of the lesson as being used by pauses for latency, then you should be fine.

Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Just had another excellent lesson with Greg via Skype.

How cool that we live in an age where we can find exceptional training at a distance. I am a teacher myself, and recognize the elegance of your approach to instruction, Greg. This ride is sweet. May it continue.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

popstuart wrote:
Just had another excellent lesson with Greg via Skype.

How cool that we live in an age where we can find exceptional training at a distance. I am a teacher myself, and recognize the elegance of your approach to instruction, Greg. This ride is sweet. May it continue.
Thanks, Harry,

I'm so happy to have such a wide variety of students, with many different musical styles and goals.

I just figured out that I've taught people in 14 different time zones so far, and all continents besides Antarctica. Amazing technology, and an amazing opportunity for me. Thanks to all who have given the lessons a shot.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Just a note for any of you who are thinking of stating up soon. y schedule will be very busy from mid-february through mid-April, (I'm composing an performing music for a local theater production) so please sign up in with plenty of advance notice to guarantee a spot.

Lot's of new students so far this year. Thanks as always for all the interest.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next