It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Stick Lessons via Skype and Facetime 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick Lessons via Skype video
Just wanted to post that Google Chat also works, if you don't like skype.

After doing a lesson with Dan last week on Google Chat, I think the video is better, but the sound can get just as "squirly".

Thanks, Dan, for recommending it as a possible alternative.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

greg wrote:

And I learned that "rivelazione" is Italian for revelation.

Who learn it??? ah ah ah ah :D

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:15 am

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to tapping and I think that taking lessons would be a great idea... I don't have to mention that there are no teachers in my reach, but the idea of just meet the teacher on the internet is really appealing to me.

So I have a question concerning the lessons you offer, Greg, which I think could be of importance for others reading here as well - would you accept giving lessons on other "upright" tapping instruments or do you have exclusively specialized on the Stick? In my case, I own a Megatar which is tuned in uncrossed 4ths, ascending on both sides. I guess that's not too typical of a Stick instrument's tuning.

I would really like to have the opportunity to have a teacher guiding me along the way but I also understand that there are differences in the instrument's design which could make this very difficult. Though I'd really like to have a Stick, that's just the way it happened, really good circumstances and I got a used tapping instrument that fitted my budget. And I think one tapper is better than none.

These are just general questions. I don't know if I'm technically and financially ready for this kind of lessons... but this all sounds like a really good idea.

Thu May 13, 2010 2:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nico A. wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to tapping and I think that taking lessons would be a great idea... I don't have to mention that there are no teachers in my reach, but the idea of just meet the teacher on the internet is really appealing to me.

So I have a question concerning the lessons you offer, Greg, which I think could be of importance for others reading here as well - would you accept giving lessons on other "upright" tapping instruments or do you have exclusively specialized on the Stick? In my case, I own a Megatar which is tuned in uncrossed 4ths, ascending on both sides. I guess that's not too typical of a Stick instrument's tuning.

I would really like to have the opportunity to have a teacher guiding me along the way but I also understand that there are differences in the instrument's design which could make this very difficult. Though I'd really like to have a Stick, that's just the way it happened, really good circumstances and I got a used tapping instrument that fitted my budget. And I think one tapper is better than none.

These are just general questions. I don't know if I'm technically and financially ready for this kind of lessons... but this all sounds like a really good idea.
Hi Nico,

Thanks for the questions. I hope my answers will seem "fair-minded" to you. There are two problems with video-chat lessons. One is the time-delay, which makes playing together impossible. The other is that it's really not possible to see the setup of the other player's instrument.

Since I can guide a Stick player through the setup procedures quite easily, I don't have a problem with this second issue when teaching Stick players. I've taught players on other instruments several times in person, but not so far via video-conference. Still, I can usually tell, listening to a recording or watching someone play, when their action is too high.

It's not just the more "vertical" nature of the instrument to consider, it's the way the belt-hook and strap lean The Stick back toward the left shoulder. So much of what I teach is based on hand and arm motions, and ergonomics, that an instrument with a wider neck that doesn't angle back toward the shoulder may not work.

Let me think about it.

Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi Greg and thanks very much for the quick answer. I have guessed that there would be problems with it, so I can understand you.

Sat May 15, 2010 5:29 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick Lessons via Skype and Google video chat
Have noticed a marked improvement in the video quality of skype lately. New student in Ireland last week. My first from there.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi everyone,

I finally got the page on my website dealing with these lessons up to date.

all of the details about signing up, and even giving lessons as a gift are there, including a PayPal button.

I raised the rates slightly, after having several people tell me I was crazy to do them for so little, so now a half hour is $22 and 70-minutes is $42.

Thanks to all the folks who have taken these lessons over the past two years. It's been fun learning along with you, and I'm looking forward to doing more of these, as interest has really picked up this Fall.

So, more info about Free Hands video-conference lessons can be found at:

http://www.greghoward.com/free_hands/video_lessons.html

If you don't want to study with me, please consider taking lessons with Don Schiff, who is also doing them this way. Don is an engaging teacher, a monster musician, and one of the most fun people you'll ever hang out with.

Thanks, Manny, for giving this subject such attention.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I had my first Skype lesson w Greg yesterday and it was quite the learning experience, I'm still digesting it all. I can definately recommend it, especially for beginners. I'm a complete noob but I think the more advanced players would benefit from this too. Give it a try!

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

flynlion wrote:
I had my first Skype lesson w Greg yesterday and it was quite the learning experience, I'm still digesting it all. I can definately recommend it, especially for beginners. I'm a complete noob but I think the more advanced players would benefit from this too. Give it a try!
Thanks, Leo,

Your lesson went well, and I'm especially encouraged that Skype wasn't at all buggy, to boot.

Now taking students (and ruining them forever :twisted: ). sign up info:

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

A few of my students said that the rate increase (of $2) last November made it harder for them to do lessons as often, so they just stopped.

I'd rather make a few dollars less than lose progress, so the rate has gone back down.

For anyone interested, please check out:

It's a pretty inexpensive way to get some good momentum.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next