It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:58 am

Question about open strings... 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Question about open strings...
I was playing Sounds of Silence and noticed that when I released a melody string around the 13th fret it was giving the open string sound with the release. If I left my finger to mute it, it didn't. Is this my poor technique, hitting too hard? Is it a worn out damper? Is it my Stick in need of a truss adjustment?

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:30 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Question about open strings...
If it dampened fine before and you haven't changed anything, it's likely a truss adjustment. I've run into this before, and pulling back on the truss just a bit realigned the dampener for me.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:40 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The solution depends on what's happening at the nut. If you damp the string with your left hand just behind the X fret does the ringing go away? That would indicate the string is too hih off the damper and maybe you have a bow.

If you have to move p to fret #1 to damp before the ringing stops that would indicate the truss might be too tigh, and the string is actually resting on the X fret.

Hope that helps.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Well, I couldn't find any position besides within a few frets that adequately dampened it. I tried running the truss high and low to no avail. Maybe somebody at FHA (even Greg ;) ) could help me figure it out...

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:46 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
Well, I couldn't find any position besides within a few frets that adequately dampened it. I tried running the truss high and low to no avail. Maybe somebody at FHA (even Greg ;) ) could help me figure it out...

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I'll be there!

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Our first order of business on Saturday morning at FHA 2014 will be sitting down with Emmett and Gary from SE and sounding out on any issues people may be having at this time with this type of issue. If attendees want to change strings at this time, they will be able to do so with an instructor walking them through the process.

In terms of programming for the FHA 2014 this year, my only request to Emmett was to offer a class, with ALL instructors present assisting attendees, on setting up and configuring the instrument. While NOTHING beats a setup from SE, this will be the next best thing.

All present will go out into the world with a wealth of information issued directly from Stick Enterprises on how to keep a sound setup and configuration. I am looking forward to being present for this class.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery