It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Noob questions about playing... 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Noob questions about playing...

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Bass amp will be a Peavey TNT 115 Combo; I use it all the time for my bass gigs. Clean and dry. Heavy as heck, so I will be putting on some muscle from having to cart around two rigs.

I recommend getting a much better bass cab. As you can see from the fret map I made for you, the bass side of your Stick has a range which is almost equal to the entire range of your Stick: a normal bass cab is not going to give you the best results.

Get in touch with gigmaster in Michigan (the closest Authorized Builder) and get yourself a Greenboy Fearless cab, I recommend either the F112 or the F115. The cost will be substantial, but so will the benefits. To feed the cab, go with either the Carvin BX700 or the Carvin BX1600; they will both give you lots of tone shaping and power, especially the latter. With all the EQ options on those heads, you could even run your Stick "mono" and have distinct voices. The F112 and F115 are both 8 ohm cabs, so here is how the power options break down:
  • BX700: 300 watts
  • BX1600: 325 watts (one side) or 1,000 watts (bridged)
Remember, you do not want to crank a solid state power section like a tube power section: tube clipping is awesome; solid state clipping kills speakers (this is why such big power is good to have).

If budget is a concern, the build plans for the Greenboy fEARful designs are freely available (along with a very helpful forum). I can also point you to a Carvin cab which will trade fidelity, weight, and size for cheapness. Carvin sells discounted scratch and dent equipment on eBay, with full warranties. Also bear in mind that many people on this forum, all of whom I respect, do not share my perspective on full range fidelity.

I will have such a rig come March, sooner if I can manage to sell my electric guitars (I am leaving guitar for Stick). I plan to run a line mixer in the BX1600's insert loop so that I send a mix of the BX1600 preamp and my Mesa TriAxis into the BX1600's power amp. As you might expect, my melody side will run into the TriAxis. I may sell the TriAxis and run "mono," who knows? I have a spare Mesa Formula preamp, just in case you are interested. :lol:

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:09 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:31 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
I may jump on a Hartke rig also.

I had better shut up, then. One of my betters here, the hilariously talented Steve, is a Hartke endorser.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6