It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Method Book 

Which introductory Stick Method Book should a new player purchase FIRST?
Emmett's book 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
Greg's book 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Steve's book 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Someone else's book (please describe in your post) 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

Method Book 

Post Re: Method Book
I read standard notation. In fact, I'm getting quite a few gigs now, usually covering guitar parts on Stick (because I play Stick much better than I play guitar) for musicals because I can read. The guy who hires me claims it's really difficult to find guitarists who can read standard notation these days. I'm not totally buying that; this is SoCal fer cryin out loud, but maybe all the ones who can read charge triple scale or something.

So I tell all my young guitar-playing friends that if they want to tap into a pretty significant pool of gigs, they ought to learn to read standard notation (as well as a few more styles and songs besides Green Day's Brain Stew. That's what all the youthful guitarists do these days, the way all guitarists were constantly hammering out "Smoke On The Water" in my day. Uh oh, I'm dating myself ...). They're not buying it, of course. It seems that if you learned an instrument not using standard notation, having to learn standard notation is a fate worse than death...

greg wrote:
Not to hijack the thread but as I'm still working on my songbook, I'm wondering how many of you folks read standard notation?

Just curious...

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:56 am
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I can barely read standard notation, but am getting better at it.

I've been translating some easy piano pieces to the Stick and they are all in notation, so it's a pretty good exercise.
I'm becoming more profficient at reading both clefs and at the Stick's fretboard! It's a win-win situation.

Plus, I think it's always a good skill for any musician to have in their bag o'tricks.

Skype Me™!

Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

locks wrote:
Unfortunately I can barely read standard notation, but am getting better at it.

I've been translating some easy piano pieces to the Stick and they are all in notation, so it's a pretty good exercise.
I'm becoming more profficient at reading both clefs and at the Stick's fretboard! It's a win-win situation.

Plus, I think it's always a good skill for any musician to have in their bag o'tricks.

Hi locks,

One of the nice things about StaffTab is that you don't have to be able to read standard notation all that well to be able to read the charts. The system tells you exactly where the notes are on the fretboard, so even if you are not that skilled with reading, you can play the exercises in my book, especially if you have the additional practice CD set.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

MichNS wrote:
On top of that, there's three people within a 20-mile radius of my house offering Stick lessons should I need to go beyond books and CD's. :idea:

clunkkkkkk ................... (jaw drops to floor!) You lucky bugger! I think that in a 200 mile radius of me there may be three people who have heard of a stick, let alone seen or listened to one.

Re: Voting. Personally, I would feel uncomfortable voting in this poll and endorsing one over the others when all three individuals post on this very forum (well, I assume that Emmett is around?? Haven't come across him since I joined). Not sure whether thats Empathetic or just pathetic!?!

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

twizzle wrote:
MichNS wrote:
On top of that, there's three people within a 20-mile radius of my house offering Stick lessons should I need to go beyond books and CD's. :idea:

clunkkkkkk ................... (jaw drops to floor!) You lucky bugger! I think that in a 200 mile radius of me there may be three people who have heard of a stick, let alone seen or listened to one.

Easier said than done, I've been trying for a couple weeks now to coordinate an appropriate time slot with one, whose schedule is pretty big. So far I've been starting out with Steve's book, I also have Emmett's. Steve's book is similar to me with a guitar book I've also been studying chord theory with. Nice thing is, I'm finding the Stick to be a completely different instrument, and the straight fourths tuning across the melody side is not messing me up with the way my NS, bass, & guitar are tuned. The difference in fret marker location seems to help me separate the instruments in my head.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:27 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Right now I think buying everything available is still pretty doable and helps encourage the production of material for the good of the community. I also find good point in all of them.

Curtis

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:21 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

CurtisAbbott wrote:
Right now I think buying everything available is still pretty doable and helps encourage the production of material for the good of the community. I also find good point in all of them.

Curtis

I take it you don't have one of those wife things? They seem to curtail credit card availability on the grounds of non-essential item acquisition being detrimental to the bank balance.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:23 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>>grounds of non-essential item acquisition <<<<

What's your priorities? Music and in particular Stick related items are essential. And if someone spends three thousand dollars on a great instrument, why back off the less inexpensive supplemental items like books, DVDs and CDs. They absolutely are essential and then some. It's like buying a Mercedes and asking for bicycle tires to save money. And you shouldn't put a price limit on knowledge anyway.

Your Financial Advisor

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
>>>grounds of non-essential item acquisition <<<<

What's your priorities? Music and in particular Stick related items are essential. And if someone spends three thousand dollars on a great instrument, why back off the less inexpensive supplemental items like books, DVDs and CDs. They absolutely are essential and then some. It's like buying a Mercedes and asking for bicycle tires to save money. And you shouldn't put a price limit on knowledge anyway.

Your Financial Advisor

Even better, do a few gigs, call yourself a musician, and claim it as a tax deduction. It works for me.

I voted for Free Hands because I love the 70's-vibe of the book, which seems to say to me "take this concept and explore". Both Greg and Steve's books might be better choices for people who prefer specific examples (and in fairness, I haven't read Steve's book yet).

Apart from the books, I really like Bob Culbertson's "Lessons & Tips" web page and Greg's "Tap Twisters".

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:41 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I voted Emmett's book for the exact same reason! Love the open concept, thoughts, photos, ideas. And the book is a piece of Stick history!!!
I'm now waiting Greg songbook and the combo DVD+method from Steve that I shall receive next week ;)
Some work for the next 5 years in perspective :o

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next