It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 am

Applied Delay - the Tomorrow Never Knows groove 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Applied Delay - the Tomorrow Never Knows groove
This is chart of the basic groove for my version of "Tomorrow Never Knows".
My arrangement was definitely inspired by the "801 Live" version of the song, but also probably just as much by Eno's amazing punk song "Third Uncle" which has a similar echo-laden bass line.

The beat are written for reference above the part.

The delay setting is a bit less than 500 milliseconds which puts it at about 1 repeat per beat at the song's tempo. The feedback level is high enough that I can hear the second repeat fairly clearly, and the level is high enough that the first repeat is almost as loud as the dry signal.

The syncopation of the part lines the echoes up with rests for much of the time, so the sound is very full with the accents blurred a bit.

One thing you might notice in the video below is that the fingering in the left hand is not static. Part of the experience of playing a part like this for me is the freedom to focus on the music, not the fingering. With a hand-movement based strategy, any finger can pay any note at any time.

I hope this illuminates the part a bit for you (that is, if you were interested in the first place).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXjEIQANes[/youtube]

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Applied Delay - the Tomorrow Never Knows groove
Greg

I never get tired of that video, Great job.

Cliff

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:58 pm
That is excellent! Thanks! :)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:06 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks...I really appreciate you sharing that. I have grooved to that video a lot, and also when you played Tomorrow Never Knows at the NE Stick Seminar two summers ago. Great stuff

Cheers

John

Since when did music become all about the words

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Like Cliff I never tire of this vid Greg. Its the vid I show people when they say "whats a stick?"

cheers,
kev

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Great delay playing, Greg! Here's another interesting aspect: in your recently posted "Surrounded video" you are also playing with this quarter note delay but have the two delays panned out left-right (depending on what fretboard is feeding the particular delay... I guess?). Maybe I did not hear that effect patch correctly and you were in fact using just one delay and then an autopan effect post delay? Sounds great anyway! I've been thinking for months that I should set up and practice with such a fast decaying delay setup (inspired of the early Echo And THe Bunnyman pop guitar sound) but that hasn't happened yet, due to too little time and gigs coming up that call for my patches that I already know well. With these patches you need a quick way of setting the delay tempo to match what you are playing. Or else you will have to play tunes in the same tempo every time :-)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
Great delay playing, Greg! Here's another interesting aspect: in your recently posted "Surrounded video" you are also playing with this quarter note delay but have the two delays panned out left-right (depending on what fretboard is feeding the particular delay... I guess?). Maybe I did not hear that effect patch correctly and you were in fact using just one delay and then an autopan effect post delay? Sounds great anyway! I've been thinking for months that I should set up and practice with such a fast decaying delay setup (inspired of the early Echo And THe Bunnyman pop guitar sound) but that hasn't happened yet, due to too little time and gigs coming up that call for my patches that I already know well. With these patches you need a quick way of setting the delay tempo to match what you are playing. Or else you will have to play tunes in the same tempo every time :-)
First, thanks to everyone for all the kind comments. I know this performance isn't perfect, but hopefully it's inspiring.

I have two SE-70s and have a matched patched but with the panning of the delays reversed, so that the melody side will echo on one channel more and the bass more on the other channel.

The StepABout allows me to route both sides through either or both outputs, so the delays can get pretty lush without being overbearing.

As far as the tempo goes. These delays are always set to the same time. If I want to do something in a different tempo, I'll use them as a triplet setting, or sometimes just ignore the tempo of the backbeat entirely if the tempo is slow enough.

This video version of this tune is probably just a shade fast for the delay time, which means the beats don't line up "exactly". I guess I was excited to be in front of such a huge and receptive crowd, and opening up for Emmett, no less...

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

saw this one today

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOG54CLlABU[/youtube]

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

A Facebook friend posted a video, commenting that he assumed I'd really like it. The video was of a really proficient tap-style guitarist (think Stanley Jordan). Of course, the guy's technique was impressive, but I answered...

I always wonder at why tap-guitar stylists don't go ahead and make the jump to a dedicated tapping instrument... the Stick.

and then I introduced Greg's Tomorrow Never Knows video with Here are a couple of Beatle songs on Stick...

Needless to say, they were blown away.

With regards to tapping on a guitar versus a Stick, why would you try for the stars in a single engine propeller plane and not the Starship Enterprise?

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well said! :-)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery