It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:21 am

Summertime changes 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Summertime changes
Summertime is one of those tunes that has many different variations in harmony. others include "bye bye blackbird" "everything happens to me" and "heres that rainy day" I suggest you find a recording that you like and work from there. I you are playing solo play what you like and if your playing with other people have a concept in mind and adjust to what changes you hear. Its based on a 16 bar minor blues.

Brett

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
When I teach, I point out that Summertime has many variations on the chord changes, Wes' being one of the most interesting. Every book will have a different set of changes on Gershwin's composition. That's the fun of the proposal. Making your own version of the tune.

Porgy (Bess is out of town)

And thanks for letting me know about the variations. I've found a few different versions and I'm going to play around and see what I like. That is fun!

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu May 01, 2008 4:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

For a different approach, check out the earlier mentioned versions by Janis Joplin (slow) and Ten Years After w/ Alvin Lee (fast)
The approach need not be jazzy.
Not the same tune but I always loved Mungo Jerry's version of "In The Summertime". Catchy one hit wonder.

Mungo SantaMaria

Thu May 01, 2008 5:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

giedosst wrote:
Be careful with the Hal Lenard fake book. Its the legal "Illegal" version of the real book and it is missing a lot of great tunes the original real book had. The Sher Music new real is also great, I would say get both the real book and the New Real from Sher and you would have a good cover of most tunes, but again the new hal Leonard one sucks!

It does seem to be missing some - they probably wanted to have some to put in Volumes 2 and 3 I would guess.

Still doesn't hurt to have it in your library... WHICH by the way - check your local library - they may have it or be able to get it through the Inter-Library-Loan system. ( I would prefer to own it though... )

There is also - if you can find it - the Colorado Cookbook...from what I remember it had some good material in it.

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Thu May 01, 2008 7:45 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>There is also - if you can find it - the Colorado Cookbook<<

My fave is the inspiring, Sam Cook Book

Capt. Kook

Thu May 01, 2008 8:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
>>There is also - if you can find it - the Colorado Cookbook<<

My fave is the inspiring, Sam Cook Book

Capt. Kook

:lol:

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Thu May 01, 2008 2:40 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wes Montgomery composed the tune called "Four on Six". It's in your Real Book.
Based on the changes to Gershwin's Summertime and in Gminor, this tune has a great melody, a cool bass line and of course Wes rips it up with his interpretations on more than one recorded version.

So what is the meaning of the title? (hint, there's a Stick tune called "9 on 12")

ll: Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l

l Cm7 F7 l Bbm7 Eb7 l Am7 D7 l Ebm7 Ab7 l

l Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l Cm7 F7 l

l BbMaj7 l Am7b5 D7 l Gm7 l Am7b5 D7#9 :ll

Suzanne Summers

Fri May 02, 2008 10:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi Steve! Thanks for your precisions.

You can play "Summertime" at medium speed (or fast) as most jazzmen do or play it like a (jazzy) lullaby which can be nice in fact, if you are referring to the lyrics and interpretations of great female singers like Ella Fitzgerald for instance.

For my own I prefer slow motion in this song and what's nice to me in this song is the melody.

Have a nice week-end

"I have nothing to say and that's what I am saying" (John Cage)

Sat May 03, 2008 3:17 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Wes Montgomery composed the tune called "Four on Six". It's in your Real Book.
Based on the changes to Gershwin's Summertime and in Gminor, this tune has a great melody, a cool bass line and of course Wes rips it up with his interpretations on more than one recorded version.

Thanks, Steve. I am adding these changes to the collection. I'll see which one I like the best at this early stage of my Stick progress.

Lee Vatip wrote:
So what is the meaning of the title? (hint, there's a Stick tune called "9 on 12")

Speaking of this, I really love the way you use all 5 fingers of your right hand. I don't have your book yet (I'm working on it.), is there a section in it where you have techniques and exercises for the right thumb?

Lee Vatip wrote:
ll: Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l

l Cm7 F7 l Bbm7 Eb7 l Am7 D7 l Ebm7 Ab7 l

l Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l Gm7 C7 l Cm7 F7 l

l BbMaj7 l Am7b5 D7 l Gm7 l Am7b5 D7#9 :ll

Suzanne Summers

This is very close to the first version I got which is in Em. It was from my guitar teacher. I'll share my meager attempt at the piece as soon as I can.

Thanks, everyone!

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat May 03, 2008 3:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>This is very close to the first version I got which is in Em. It was from my guitar teacher<<

This tune is never, ever done in E minor. I have all the versions available and all are in Gmi. Summertime is usually in Aminor.

As far as Stickology............. nothing I can say. It's there waiting for you to digest.
SA

Sat May 03, 2008 8:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery