It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

Learning a simple song? ( what did you learn first ) 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Learning a simple song? ( what did you learn first )
Didn't mean to Hijack the thread
Is learning Stick good for your mental health?
(From sagehalo. AKA Daniel in Cary, NC )

But I really though this would be a great thread on it's own
Coming from a LONG guitar background I though it would be easy to translate some of that knowledge over ( Yes and No )

First couple of tunes I kind of tackled ( Or learned some of the licks )
Wish You Were Here ( G,C,D kind of stuff )
Rain Song ( Zepp again a G, D kind of thing )

After last years Interlocken Seminar I started to do what Bob C recommened which was
1.) Play along with the basic chord structure 1 hand or 2 but just play the chords
2.) Start adding in some of the Melody and "frills"

You can easly google a songs chord structure and start with that

But here's the Question
What song/songs did you learn first and how did you break it down

Looking forward to reading some responses
and hope it helps some of us newbee's

Tom
( In Austin )

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Learning a simple song? ( what did you learn first )
Hi Tom,

My first songs were Fragile by Sting, Lonely Man (Hulk ending theme), Lightning crashes (Live)

My approach can be different depending on the song. Usually it starts with the chord scheme (google is your friend!) and figure out how to play the bass and some comping (the left hand) and then figure out how to complete the song with the right hand.
I always look for the signatures of the song (what makes it recognizable and needs to be in and what could be left out).
How I select the songs ? By ear and imagination. When I hear a song and there something that catches my attention, I try to audiolize (as in visualize) the song on stick. If I can hear it it front of me, i put it on a list (so to just not forget about it).
Then I start working on it when I feel like it and see if it 'clicks'. For instance, 'somebody i used to know' didn't really ring a bell in the original Gotey version, but when I heard it in the cover version of Walk off the Earth (5 people on 1 guitar), I immediately heard it on stick. It's a very nice independence exercise by the way with some fancy flying of the right across the stick (both sides) to put in the song as possible).
I also try to identify bits and pieces in songs that sound like a good exercise.
I also play Wish you were here, great song ! But also look into something like Patience from guns and roses, good song for stick, or Hello from Lionel Richie (I play it instrumental)

Cheers,
Bas

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:44 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

tnaughton wrote:
After last years Interlocken Seminar I started to do what Bob C recommened which was
1.) Play along with the basic chord structure 1 hand or 2 but just play the chords
2.) Start adding in some of the Melody and "frills"

This is a great point, and I've started working on just playing chords in both hands to build a better comfort level for myself in this area. What I'm having a hard time finding are some good basic ideas on how to play chords rhythmically with two hands. Looking at the way a piano player might play in a "chord style" sort of helps, but with the natural tendency of a (or at least this) Stickist to layer in left hand chords as an arpeggio, piano styles never seem to quite fit for me.

Any insight others can offer would be great.

Cheers!
(ps - I select songs in almost exactly the same way that Bas described)

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hi Karma,

Try 'Dreamer' from Supertramp, that will get your right out of arpeggio mode :-)
My 'thing' is the left hand triad. I find it pretty difficult to avoid it, cause it's so easy...

Cheers,
Bas

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:34 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The very first tune I learned was the "First Gymnopédie" by Satie, based on the Blood, Sweat and Tears version I had heard on the Blood, Sweat, and Tears album.

It was a simple tune with easy chord movement.

Then I started working on simplified versions of Bach pieces from an organ book I had had as a kid.

Probably the first "song" I learned was "Norwegian Wood"

But I think the was I really started learning was, while working with Free Hands to learn rudiments and chords and scales, to compose. Writing music on the instrument really made it click for me.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

When I first got my Stick in 1997 or 98, I was playing in a band that did only origionals, at least half of which I wrote. I had a tough time playing my bass lines on the stick, so I started writing new material on it right away. The first song I remember learning was pretty simple though. I believe it was "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" by Bela Flec. I would highly recomend this song for newer stick players. It is fairly simple and just feels good to play. Plus you can play the melody first on the melody side and then on the bass side(if thet is what we are still calling them these days). Another song I learned was "Heavy Cloud, No Rain" by Sting, also pretty simple. One that was more of a challenge was trying to learn "Bron yr Aur" by Jimmy Page by ear. I think I have a pretty good representaion of it. It helped me think of the Stick as one whole instrument instead of bass and guitar on the same fretboard.

Interesting question.
Mike

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I don't have a name for it, but I made up a simple song when I got my first Stick almost two years ago. I was impressed with how big the sound of the Stick is and wanted to make some music based on triads where the melody, played as single-string line on the melody side, instantly carries one of the three chord notes while I should play the other two chord notes on the bass side. Then followed a while of puzzling these bits or theory around to make it work as a piece of music. Finally I put up the iPhone for a video documentation:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTMG0sn2WY[/youtube]

Generally I like to stay away from composing because the Stick is such a fun and rewarding instrument to improvise music on. But it's not easy, soon you start repeating yourself and your improvisations tend to become compositions.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I decided to learn arpeggios with the left hand, a harmonised diatonic scale, as that includes most of the inversions and sounds I want, and learn all three diatonic scales in the right hand.

That allows me to play most tunes, albeit in a "samey" sort of way. I'm particularly drawn to Joni Mitchell tunes at the moment.

The next job is to expand that and add extra devices and extrapolations.. that's a lifetimes work on its own...

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've been working on Mad World (Gary Jules version). It's the first song I've learned on the stick and it's been a big breakthrough for me although it still needs polish. Been playing for a year now.

kev

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

tnaughton wrote:

First couple of tunes I kind of tackled ( Or learned some of the licks )
Wish You Were Here ( G,C,D kind of stuff )
Rain Song ( Zepp again a G, D kind of thing )

Tom
( In Austin )

speaking of, here is a great rendition of The Rain Song by Paige & Plant (one of my favorite Zep tunes)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeDylD8dV7U[/youtube]

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery