It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

Stick course, worth another mention 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Stick course, worth another mention
Just back from St. Petersburg Florida.
Over two full days, I recorded a 40 lesson CD ROM Stick course for TrueFire (major online music company).
After editing, the course will contain approx. four hours of techniques, concepts, application, theory, etc.
Available this summer. It's very comprehensive.
More info to come.

Steve Adelson

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Stick course, worth another mention
Let us have some samples to see what it's like! It worked on the concert CD.... :)

http://www.myspace.com/mychapmansticks
http://www.myspace.com/artistgodanddoctor

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:33 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Well since he JUST got back from doing it, I'm guessing there isn't much to show right now. However, to get an idea of how Truefire presents lessons, go to their site.

http://www.truefire.com

I have purchased some stuff from them for guitar. Very high quality lessons.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The course will be called "Ultimate Stick, (essential techniques and insights for exploring the Chapman Stick)". It was recorded at TrueFire's studios over two long days and now will be tweaked (sound and visual) and ready in the summer.
A 45 minute webcast interview, will be available in about 3 weeks promoting the course which will have 40 segments.

Steve Adelson

BTW-thanks to Mike, Randy and Flint for coming by for the mini-seminar.
Always fun.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Steve,

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough but the compass system doesn't seem to be working for me. I understand the concept but I simply cannot make up the lines (or the few lines / chops that I did do not sound right). I had the 'aha' moment in the German seminar; the concept seemed to me very good, simple and effective. i cannot put that initial and theoretical 'aha' into a practical bass line.

Any suggestions or comments will be highly appreciated ;-)

Cheers, Daniel

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi. I need more info. Why did the concept work at the seminar and not after?
Basically you can form a 4 note line from the arpeggio of the chord. To make it more linear, add notes of the accompanying scale. More sophistication adds passing tones usually into the next chord. When it goes in a direction, the line doesn't have to go exclusively "North" for instance. Just the general direction.
Do you have my book? The DVD explanation might help.
Does the above info clarify matters? Go slow, think and hear.

Steve A

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

arsacane,
I was having the same problem, and I posted the same question. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=410

I think what helped me was starting on model tunes, or tunes with more static harmony. I did Monk's Friday the 13th
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3KFGDh0WM
I learned the melody while playing the same downward direction. This really helped my 2 hand independence. I then practiced playing a Minor scale in the key up and down till I had it while talking and chewing gum at the same time. After that I went to "Blue Monk", which I'm still chomping at. All while I played to a click on the 2 and 4 as well. I find that for me at least, its not that I'm not thinking about my left hand as much as I have explored where all of my fingers are during any point in time while I'm walking and have practiced it enough that it feels natural. I am aware of what both my hands are doing but I'm just thinking about the music as a whole instead of left hand-right hand-left-hand-right hand. Its like both my hands are one. I hope this helps but Steve is the master. Brett's got some great insight into this as well.
I hope this helps!

Mi Tuescents

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Steve GREAT POST!!

You're right, you must think of the entire instrument THATS THE SECRET!!
Imagine your on a jazz gig and someone calls a difficult tune you don't know and haven't shedded. You open your real book take a deep breath and go. As your playing you walk through unfamiliar changes while comping then comes your solo..... Without both hands working in tandom grabing tonal centers and functions you will crash and burn. It takes a lot of practice but it's the only way I know to play in these situations. The key is to keep expanding your "vision" of the instrument expanding your vocabulary through Steve A's compass system
as well as scale, arpeggio and melodic work.
I often close my eyes when I play and when I'm asked how I do it I always say that the eyes really unimportant it's about the ears and the inner vision. The eyes can help but the more "feel" you have for where the sounds are the better off you are.

Straight ahead and strive for tone

Brett

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery