It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 pm

discouraged 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: discouraged
Along with Steve's sage advice... If you only try to hit the ball, instead of working on your swing, you'll be more frustrated. Progress in technique expands possibilities faster than "going for results".

Noel Emmetts

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

the profusion of information that we experience on a daily basis is a two sided coin. One side, you can witness the very best on your instrument of choice, performing awe inspiring musical passages which motivate you to stretch your ability. The other side is that you see the result of thousands of hours of patient practice, without any evidence of the sweat that it cost and lose the simple pleasure of the music that you can make at this moment.

My suggestion is to keep it simple. What attracts you to playing music on a Stick? For me there was joy at all levels of my journey (to be sure, I'm not one of the virtuoso guys you hear in Stickist posts). The old maxim of "be here now" applies in spades. Keep an eye on the target of advanced playing, but never discount what you do "right here and now". The simplest passage can be musical and loaded with emotion whereas some of the most intricate "shredding" pieces can be nothing more artistically, than an athletic exposition.

Lighten up and make a joyful noise.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've been to the point SEVERAL times of giving up on the Stick and up to now have always found it in myself to come back. (Recently my Stick was almost sold and I'm very happy right now the sale fell through) THAT SAID it seems that whenever I reach that point of being ready to give up something CLICKS, I pick up the Stick and feel a new desire to grow on the instrument. My current Stick project is videoing myself playing to post on line for all to see. like jumping in the deep end of the pool. ;) Hopefully I'll have a rough but completely LIVE (In my studio) video of a song i wrote on Stick called Cupcake posted tomorrow for all to see.

My advice to anyone feeling like they aren't going anyplace on the Stick is take a break ... but don't give up unless you know in your heart it's the right thing for you to do. Maybe a break is all you really need? As I said, for me, I seem to make good advances in my playing right after I get out of a funk and my latest Stick funk was major! BUT i'm still here and although I'm NOT an acomplished Stick player YET i'm still a Stick player.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

When discouraged, of course I advocate a Stick lesson. Having a teacher point you in a direction or unleasing a concept, tool or technique secret will be its own motivation. It's very rewarding to see the "aha" look in a student's eyes as they become inspired to move forward in their musical pursuits.
Steve A

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery