It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

SB8 to Interior DBR 

Post SB8 to Interior DBR
I sent my SB8 back to SE yesterday for Emmett to do a checkup and to switch its tuning from Bass Straight 4ths to Interior Dual Bass Reciprocal. I've only had it since March 2011, however in that short time I've come to feel that the high strings in Bass Straight 4ths -- particularly the F and Bb -- are too high for what I do as a bassist. Additionally, I am looking forward to trying inverted 5ths on the lower strings.

I would like to hear from anyone using DBR about what they like about it (I've already read Greg's article and Scott Wedel's experience on his SB8 on the SE website).

Thanks,
Mike

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:47 am

Post Re: SB8 to Interior DBR
I am a typical bass player, and picked up a Ten Grand Stick tuned DBR recently and say that I've been utilizing more the side tuned in fifths than side tuned in fourths ...
It gives a little work at first but is quite interesting.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:17 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I play a 12 string DBR and im dealing with carpal tunnel. My right hand winds up doing most of the work and the left winds up holding down the core notes - across the board. I play w both sides identically set up so its like this big bass harp w redundancy and many fingering options available. It's really quite cool. Now that im really serious about playing I have this physical stuff come about. My next Stick will be a fretless - I still might yank the frets out of the Ironwood. Are you listening, Emmett? Any suggestions?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
I play a 12 string DBR and im dealing with carpal tunnel. My right hand winds up doing most of the work and the left winds up holding down the core notes - across the board. Now that im really serious about playing I have this physical stuff come about.

I hear you--be really careful and keep the inflamation down. Don't overdo your practice sessions--take lots of breaks! An RSI injury is no fun at all! :(

Quote:
I play w both sides identically set up so its like this big bass harp w redundancy and many fingering options available. It's really quite cool.

That does sound awesome from a bass player's standpoint. 8-)

Quote:
My next Stick will be a fretless - I still might yank the frets out of the Ironwood. Are you listening, Emmett? Any suggestions?

Unless you're prepared to level the fretboard (which would become a fingerboard) yourself, or have a skilled luthier who can do it for you, I'd be careful. For really low action the same amount of care would need to be made in setup as Emmett and his crew takes in fret dressage when the instruments leave their shop. Don't assume the fingerboard will be immediately playable just because the frets were.

Better to have SE do the work. Emmett posted a while back that the half-fretless NS's were still possible, with of course an added cost for the additional work required. Maybe if we're nice enough those sorts of custom options will still be on the table when we have enough money to afford them! ;)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery