It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

Tap-Twister #2 - a little "offbeat" exercise 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Tap-Twister #2 - a little "offbeat" exercise
Subject: Tap-Twister #2 - a little "offbeat" exercise
Original post date Date: Feb 24, /2007

Last time the exercise was all about right hand fingerings. This time we look at the issue of rhythmic independence between the two hands, with a little bit of left hand fingering thrown in for good measure. The left hand is in C with a dominant 7th, and the right hand adds the rest of the #9 chord voicing.

The bass line shifts the first note of the phrase from "1" in the first bar to the "and of 4" in the second. Practicing against regular chord rhythms in the right hand will help you "break" neurological ties that want you to tap simultaneously with both hands. Each line of this exercise has a different right-hand rhythm.

Using the fingering shown for measures 1-4 for the left hand, practice each two-bar phrase until you have it down. Then as an alternative, use the fingering shown for the left hand in bars 5-8 with each right-hand rhythm.

It might help to play the individual parts first, just to get the phrases "into your head" as a musical statement rather than as a pattern of notes that "lines up" in a certain way. The goal is to be able to concentrate on individual parts, not on how it feels to "lock them together."

The last two right-hand rhythms are very similar. Focus on how long each chord is supposed to be played, and be as precise as possible. make sure the 1/8th notes are 1/8th notes and the 1/4 notes are 1/4 notes. This will help you concentrate your attention on your right hand while your left hand is doing a syncopated part, a good skill to develop.

Once you have them all down, try changing the right hand phrase at will. You can create your own right-hand rhythms, too. Write them down first, then play them against the left-hand part.

StaffTab NOTE:
This chart is written for Baritone Melody 10-string. Use the following suggestions to read it for other tunings:

10-string Classic: Play the right-hand chords on strings 3-5 instead of 2-4
Matched Reciprocal 10-string: Play the right hand chords on strings 3-5 and on frets 12.13
12-string Classic: Play the right hand chords on strings 3-5 out of 6.
12-string MR: Play the right-hand chords on strings 3-5 and on frets 12.13

Happy Tapping,
Greg

Tap-Twisters is a trademark of Greg Howard
StaffTab is a trademark of Greg Howard and Stick Enterprises, Inc.

THE CHART: Click here to see the chart: http://www.stick.com/sticknews/archives/292/tap-twister2.jpg

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Tap-Twister #2 - a little "offbeat" exercise
Ah, yes, good old #2. I really worked hard on this one and could play it at very fast tempo. I think it really helped me get started on feeling what it's like to have each hand doing different rhythmic things. I recommend it highly.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Tap-Twister #2 - a little "offbeat" exercise
EricTheGray wrote:
Ah, yes, good old #2. I really worked hard on this one and could play it at very fast tempo. I think it really helped me get started on feeling what it's like to have each hand doing different rhythmic things. I recommend it highly.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I think one of the best things about this exercise is that it gets the player thinking about note length, and not just where the notes start.

Glad you liked it.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery