It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:59 am

What to learn while I wait for my stick? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What to learn while I wait for my stick?
Babaghanoush wrote:
Thanks Greg. I think I understand your point. It’s not called the “Free Fingers” method for a reason. Developing hand and arm independence away from an instrument seems challenging but I’ll give it some thought.
This is the one element that many players who come from a guitar background don't seem to get so easily, and it's the best way to describe where to put your energy.

You can work on this by tapping a consistent beat with your left hand and then playing spontaneous rhythmic phrases with your right, and vice versa.

The thing to remember is to tap your let foot all the while, but in a broader division of beats. For example:

tap your foot in quarter notes, play repeated 1/8 notes with your left hand, then phrase with your right hand.

I like to start with eight-beat phrases because you have to concentrate a bit more on the phrase.

give it a try!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery