It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 am

Thinking about DBR. 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Thinking about DBR.
88persuader wrote:
I'm at work right now but if I just remembered, I think I have an unused set of SB8 strings I bought to try on my old 10 string Stick years ago. The strings didn't fit in the the custom tuners that Old Stick had so I never used the strings. If I can find these I can experiment with this "SB12" tuning right away for free! I'm very excited about the possibilities of having the traditional 4ths tuning of the SB8 along with it's full range and still have the inverted 5ths bass chord possibilities of a traditional Stick. If this doesn't quite work out I may try DBR tuning which will give me one less upper range string but having owned an NS Stick I think this will be the perfect marrage for my needs as a bass player and and still allow me to take advantage of the "magic" of inverted 5ths bass tuning.

Can't wait to give this a try! I'll keep you all posted.
Hi Ray,

If you are at all handy with a drill, you can easily enlarge the hole in the tuning machines if the string core is too wide to fit through. Remember that you will have to make some substantial setup changes before it will be perfect (especially lengthening the scale length on all of the strings except #8 which you will need to shorten slightly), but you should be able to get it perfect.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have the SB8 strings Greg so i may try the set up this evening. The issue with the tuner hole size was with my old 10 string Stick. It had "After market" tuners installed by it's prior owner. My Graphite Grand has modern "standard" Stick features with no aftermarket mods so I think it'll be fine. I'm looking forward to trying this out. In regard to intonation and string height, I don't foresee that as being an issue. I've been setting up my basses and guitars for years! I know the Stick is a little different but the same basic set up rules apply with the exception of neck relief.

I'll definitely let you and the forum know how this turns out but honestly, I don't think it can fail! The only REAL question is ... will i like it? (I think i will! 8-) )

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well, the strings I have didn't work. Apparently years ago I cut the lower strings to try to accommodate my OLD Stick and it's not long enough for the 8th position on my Grand Stick. I honestly am fairly sure after owning an NS Stick in the past that I'll love this new "SB12" tuning.

I spoke with Emmit tonight, he suggested the proper gage strings and ordered the custom string set. In a week or two (when I get the strings and have a chance to set up the Stick) I'll write a report on the tuning in a new thread.

Thanks again Greg for setting me straight on the needed string tuning. that made it much easier to speak with Emmet about string gage.
Sorry to the original poster for kind of stealing your thread!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery