It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:29 am

Is this going to work? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Is this going to work?
I had trouble getting comfortable with my quite heavy Polycarbonate Stick, so I had a luthier fit an adjustable cello spike in a big block of ebony instead of the belt hook. The result is attached below (click to enlarge). I realised after I took the photo that I'd forgotton my usual wedge cushion, so I should be sitting 3" higher relative to the Stick, then the camera battery went flat :-) The pickup block rests against my left leg, and although the spike isn't 100% rigid, the whole unit is quite stable without the shoulder strap. Has anyone else tried this, and how did you find it?

Max

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:03 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Is this going to work?
Nice, I have tried various rigs. Sometimes as ghetto as putting books under the stick to raise it kinda like your cello stand. I have found that sitting cross legged on the floor with a pretty thick pillow is my favorite. I dont use the strap in that position and its stable. I think you want to avoid using the left hand to hold it in position too much. I think Bob Culbertson used to use something like a cello stand? Oh, did you try a lap bar? I like those for chair playing.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:18 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Oceans - thanks for your comments. I don't have to hold it in position with my left hand - the spike is located against my right instep and the pickup rests against my left thigh. The carbon cello spike bends a little but isn't about to break, and I can lift either or both hands off completely and the Stick wobbles a little but otherwise stays in position, without a shoulder strap. Standing up is of course not an option, but I kinda like sitting, it's less effort and I don't have to concentrate on not falling over :-)

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:01 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thats a very cool idea. I think i might have to do that. Currently, I just have a dowel I sit on my lap and set the belt hook over. :lol:

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

maxr wrote:
I had trouble getting comfortable with my quite heavy Polycarbonate Stick, so I had a luthier fit an adjustable cello spike in a big block of ebony instead of the belt hook. The result is attached below (click to enlarge). I realised after I took the photo that I'd forgotton my usual wedge cushion, so I should be sitting 3" higher relative to the Stick, then the camera battery went flat :-) The pickup block rests against my left leg, and although the spike isn't 100% rigid, the whole unit is quite stable without the shoulder strap. Has anyone else tried this, and how did you find it?

Max
Hi Max,

To each his own, and I applaud your creativity, but (and maybe I'm wrong on this...)

Do you have to "hold" or balance the instrument with your left hand? If so, then this would ultimately be a real disadvantage. You shouldn't have to support or balance the instrument with your hands. That's the beauty of Emmett's belthook and shoulder strap.

I've always found sitting on a chair with a very loose belt around my waist is the best option, for two reasons:

1. The belt hook rests on the chair itself, not on me, so I bear none of the weight. The strap just keeps the instrument from sliding of the front of the chair. The weight of the instrument is also not on my legs like it is with a lap bar.

2. The balance of the instrument is still maintained by the shoulder strap, and in essentially the same ergonomic positioning as when I'm standing relative to the left shoulder. This means my hands are truly free, they don't have to do anything but play, and the instrument is in a consistent spot whether I'm playing or sitting.

It also moves with me when I lean forward or backward, so it really feels like it's a part of me.

My thoughts on positioning is a chapter in the DVD I'm working on...

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Greg wrote -[/quote]Hi Max,
Do you have to "hold" or balance the instrument with your left hand?...[quote]

Hi Greg - I don't have to grip it with my left hand, or stop it falling side to side. It's neccessary to have my left thumb loosely touching the back of the neck, but only to provide a little support to prevent the tapping force rocking the neck backwards. I can do anything with my right hand, including bringing the thumb forward.

What makes this work OK is that the natural position of the cello end pin is to wedge itself comfortably inside the instep of the right foot, with the end pin mounting block resting against the left thigh. That locates the Stick side to side, and the end pin supports all the weight. I could get fancy and add side thigh supports like some electric cellos have for added rigidity, but it seems OK as is.

This won't work standing up unless I get a 3'6" pin, but it's very comfortable sitting down. I can see the logic of the belt loop, but I found it uncomfortable due to the weight of the polycarbonate Stick - even a wide wedding belt slips down in front unless it's really tight (ouch). Maybe it works better if you have a waist...

The cello end pin also enables you to twist the Stick round to eyeball a chord shape for practise. It's absolutely no use for those who don't like their Stick almost vertical, of course, but I think vertical may be more ergonomic. If you put your forearms and hands in line with each other and at right angles to your body (like you're praying except with hands flat against your chest in line with forearms), there's very little tension there. With an upright Stick, you've just moved that position to the left a little. Now pull your left elbow down and lift your right elbow, more like a guitarist - feel the tension in your shoulders and srms increase? Seasoned guitarists probably won't notice this cos you're already all twisted out of shape like us fiddlers :) .

The postman just brought me a parcel, let's see - wow, a new Stickup pickup and The Stick Book by Greg Howard. Dang, I was hoping to get some work done today!

Thanks again, Max

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:11 am