It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 What's challenging you? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What's challlenging you?
Nintō wrote:

THE IMPROVISOR'S BASS METHOD by Chuck Sher !!!

So that's two votes for this book. Thanks.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

zaubertuba wrote:
I know I asked this question once before, but one other area I'm having a hard time with is comping guitar chords in the right hand. Even simple double-stops. I've been working out basic 3rd/7th voicings of various flavors using that neat web fretboard printer, but it's really cumbersome doing this "piece by piece," and it'd be nice to actually build myself a better technical foundation so I can comp more "on the fly." Does anybody know of a good technique book that addresses this? Greg, what about your songbook?
Hi Bryce,

I haven't done this as much in the recent past but I'm starting to do more in this new quartet (which is about to turn into a quintet, I think).

It's not dealt with at all in the Song Book, because that's really for learning to play as a soloist, with the right hand focused on melody and improvisation. The KeyMaps are similar in concept to what Nintō was suggesting, but they aren't as useful in this context because they don't identify the intervals by name, only the pitches.

This might be a lame explanation, I'm no theory expert and there are others here who have studied this way more than I have.

If you know how the chord tones fit into the key you are playing, then that will help you find the chords within the position, and those that are just adjacent to the position. The m7 of the ii chord is the root of the i chord.

So if you're playing a double stop for the min 3rd and min 7th of a ii chord for a min7b5-7-min7 ii-V-i progression:

Code:
ii
| -- | -- | m3 | -- |  (1)
| -- | -- | m7 | -- |  (1)

the function of the top note will change for the V chord, it becomes the dominant 7th, and the lower note just drops down a half-step to serve as the Maj 3, the two strings then swap function again for the i chord, with the min3 on top and the min7 below.

Code:
V
| -- | -- |  7 | -- |  (2)
| -- | M3 | -- | -- |  (1)

i
| m3 | -- | -- | -- |  (1)
| m7 | -- | -- | -- |  (1)

Parallel to the Bass
Drawing on the parallel geometry found in 4ths and inverted 5ths (something Steve doveres really well in his book and DVDs), you can easily see that the intervals in these melody diads parallels the movement of the same chord tones in the corresponding bass chords.

Code:
ii
-- | -- | -- | -- | -- |
-- | -- |  R | -- | -- |
-- | -- | -- | -- | -- |
-- | -- | -- | m3 | -- | 
-- | -- | -- | m7 | -- | 

V
-- | -- |  R | -- | -- |
-- | -- | -- | -- | -- |
-- | -- | -- | -- | -- |
-- | -- | -- |  7 | -- |
-- | -- | M3 | -- | -- |

i
-- | -- | -- | -- | -- |
 R  | -- | -- | -- | -- |
-- | -- | -- | -- | -- |
-- | m3 | -- | -- | -- |
-- | m7 | -- | -- | -- |

Back to the Right Hand
Now, if you want to add the next lowest string you can ad the b5 of the ii chord which leads nicely into the root of the 5 chord, which also happens to be the root of the I chord.

Code:
ii
| -- | -- | m3 | -- |  (1)
| -- | -- | m7 | -- |  (1)
| -- | -- | -- | b5 |  (3)

V
| -- | -- |  7 | -- |   (2)
| -- | M3 | -- | -- |   (1)
| -- | -- | R  | -- |   (3)

i
| m3 | -- | -- | -- |  (1)
| m7 | -- | -- | -- |  (1)
| -- | -- |  5 | -- |  (3)

If it's a ii-V-I progression, (the ii isn't half-diminished and the I is a Maj7), these would be the three-note chords I might use:

Code:
ii
| -- | -- | m3 | -- | -- |  (1)
| -- | -- | m7 | -- | -- |  (1)
| -- | -- | -- | -- |  5 |  (3)

V
| -- | -- |  7 | -- |   (2)
| -- | M3 | -- | -- |   (1)
| -- | -- | R  | -- |   (3)

I
| -- | M3 | -- | -- |  (1)
| -- | M7 | -- | -- |  (1)
| -- | -- |  5 | -- |  (3)

It's really good for me to be thinking about this now before tomorrow night's gig. I'll be doing a lot of comping behind John D'earth for sure.

Locating these chords is easy. The minor 7 of the ii chord is the root of the i or I chord.

Since the root is not on the lowest string, you'll be able to solo over the ii and the 5 from the first progression in the scale positions using the 2rd-finger-root 5th mode of the harmonic minor scale, which looks like this:
Code:
|  1 | -- |  2 | -- |  3 | 
| -- |  1 |  2 | -- |  3 |
|(1) | -- |  2 |  3 | -- |   (the first finger note shown in parentheses is the min7)

for the i chord you use 2nd-finger-root Aeolian of the 5th mode

Code:
|(1) | -- |  2 | -- |  3 |

I haven't seen them in a while, but I also remember that Bob has some nice diagrams for identifying notes in a single position for various chords in his videos, and Steve's chord chemistry concepts are great for this as well.

Feel free to ask questions or challenge any of this. If I'm not being clear I'd certainly want to know.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks so much, Greg!

greg wrote:
Feel free to ask questions or challenge any of this. If I'm not being clear I'd certainly want to know.

You're being perfectly clear--this is an awesome start! The theory I understand--applying the theory to the fretboard is where I'm sorely lacking, and you just provided me a good start to understanding that--in spades! :D

The role I'm playing with my left hand in our trio is much more of a "traditional" bassist, you could say, so I hadn't really thought much about left hand chording with inverted fifths tuning (that happens to be my weak hand, anyway--the one that was most injured 20-some years ago and the first I feel when I practice too much or when my arthritis acts up). Seeing it graphically like this does peak my interest, though. ;)

Thanks again for the really informational post! Looks like I have some practicing to do. :)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: What's challenging you?
Greg:

Your most recent and very helpful, example-laden post reminded me of a fascinating theory book I bought a few years ago. I've always been interested in chord forms and voicings that could serve different functions depending on the context (one basic example would be enharmonic equivalents etc.)

Well, I stumbled upon a great book compiled by Scott Henderson (an absolutely fabulous guitarist......) called "Guitar Chord System" which exactly that - dozens of moveable chord voicings that, depending on context (or in the simplest terms, what bass note you play under them) could work in a whole variety of ways. Of course, this also gives them the potential to have a vague, floating quality if you deprive them of enough context as well.....

I saw the "moveable" voicings as having potential to be adapted to Stick, of course.....

I googled the title and a preview of the book can be found here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7120920/Scott ... ord-System

I don't know how this was posted online or who did it; as always, I would recommend anyone interested in the subject or what they see in the preview to purchase the book as I did so Scott's hard work can be rewarded. The hard copy is very nicely printed to bring out the best in his color-coded system approach.....

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I really wish I could add something here, but when you start throwing diagrams around and start talking mirrors, I can't grasp what you guys are saying. I'm sure it's all good stuff.

Ray Browns book is great. I guess for me I learned walking on the upright and I just use my ear on the stick. I use a lot of upright shift fingerings on the stick it all works, the shifts are just different.

I wish I could read a diagram.

Brett

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Lol Brett^^ :lol:

I remember a smoking version of "Blue Monk" you played in Charlottesville years ago, so I don't think your inability to read diagrams has held you back too much.....

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

zaubertuba wrote:
Thanks so much, Greg!

greg wrote:

You're being perfectly clear--this is an awesome start! The theory I understand--applying the theory to the fretboard is where I'm sorely lacking, and you just provided me a good start to understanding that--in spades! :D

The role I'm playing with my left hand in our trio is much more of a "traditional" bassist, you could say, so I hadn't really thought much about left hand chording with inverted fifths tuning (that happens to be my weak hand, anyway--the one that was most injured 20-some years ago and the first I feel when I practice too much or when my arthritis acts up). Seeing it graphically like this does peak my interest, though. ;)

Thanks again for the really informational post! Looks like I have some practicing to do. :)
Hi Bryce,

Glad you like it. I make diagrams like this frequently to go with the video lessons I do, and I usually learn something in the process, so it's a win/win for me.

Perhaps the coolest thing about the inverted 5ths is that it lays out all of the varieties of 7th chords in a very small fret span, usually just 2 or 3 frets are needed. The chords fit the shape of the left hand very nicely, and the fingering transitions from one to the other are easy to execute. Arpeggiating them, or dividing them into bass+other voices provides rhythm and harmonic context for right hand melody, not exactly in the same way as a walking bass, but thrown in a few passing tones and it can propel the music along pretty nicely.

Looking forward tochecking out the bass resources you all have mentioned. Many thanks, again.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

No, I don't let disabilities keep me back. Sometimes you need to find other methods to learn.
That's why I think the different approaches from different teachers is so important.
This forum is also a great tool.

and LOL I'm not lookin' for sympathy, none needed. I just really wish stuff like this was easier for me.
To this day I have no clue what mirrored right/left hand chords mean. It seems to help a lot of people what ever it is.

BTW you were at the charlottesville sem? did we meet?
Man that was a great time.

cheers
Brett

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

^^Yeah I was the "old newbie" from North Carolina at the seminar in 2004 and owner of ancient Ironwood Stick #881.

My screen name is a dopey play on my real name Marc Chambers....

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:18 am

Another walking bass resource I forgot about: Mike Richmond's "Modern Walking Bass Technique".....It's expensive on Amazon, but if you Google it, you can find it cheaper from other more specialized retailers of music books.....

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next