It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:15 am

Playing w/ a Bassist 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Playing w/ a Bassist
I'd like to see if anyone has any tips on playing in a band with a bassist. I've heard some of Greg Howard's stuff, and it seems pretty good. Dave Matthew Band's "The Dreaming Tree" IMO is pretty much quintessential Stick + Guitar + Bass work (listen for it panned hard left.) I really like the version of "Blues For Ayman" in the Greg Howard Band but I feel like there's some feet being stepped on. So, does anyone have any advice for playing with a bassist?

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:01 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Playing w/ a Bassist
Have ya' checked out my session with TL (fretless bass) on a track called Planetarium.

Bill Daholm

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Have ya' checked out my session with TL (fretless bass) on a track called Planetarium.

Bill Daholm

I'll have to check that out when I get to my computer.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

It can definitely be a tricky combination, not just from a sonic point of view, but from an "ownership" or "reponsibility" point of view. I think the main thing is that you need both players to have good ears and respect for each others space, otherwise you'll have many clashes or the low-end will suffer.

I've had a number of jams with both fretless and fretted players and most of them have been great, but mostly because the guys are good listeners and know when to switch between soloing and holding down the bottom end. I think Stick and fretless works particularly well, as the sonic signatures are quite distinct, not to mention "typical" playing styles.

I'm also in another project, however, that is continually degenerating into low-end mud, mainly because the other guy doesn't have a very good ear and just plugs away without taking much notice of what I'm trying to do. Kinda like how I often wail away on the melody side or launch into crazy melody arpeggios, ignoring what the poor guitarists are trying to do, hahahaha. :P

Cheers,

EG

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:07 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Petary791 wrote:
I'd like to see if anyone has any tips on playing in a band with a bassist. I've heard some of Greg Howard's stuff, and it seems pretty good. Dave Matthew Band's "The Dreaming Tree" IMO is pretty much quintessential Stick + Guitar + Bass work (listen for it panned hard left.) I really like the version of "Blues For Ayman" in the Greg Howard Band but I feel like there's some feet being stepped on. So, does anyone have any advice for playing with a bassist?

Hi Peter,

I feel like the most successful we were was on "Still Water" where the fretless really sings and the Stick parts are under, double, above, wherever.

I do think fretless works better because the attacks are so different. As long as yuo really work the parts out ahead of time, it can go well. Knowing each other's playing well can also make a difference.

There's a video version of "Still Water" here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWqO2T0bh7w

It was our first gig, but I think the chemistry was already happening.

I think the version on the Lift CD is the best version of that track, and probably the best example of the two of us really working off of each other.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery