It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Easy Rotating Speaker sound 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Easy Rotating Speaker sound
Anyone who has caught Greg live or listened to his great Latin recording, Sol, has had their jaw drop for the first time when Greg launches into a solo and channels Jimmy Smith's Hammond B-3. Wow! Oye Como Va to you! Well, I worked in a group lugging around a Leslie Farfisa cabinet up and down stairs, so here is the easier ( and albeit much lighter) way to get that sound.

Around the basement find your old Wah-Wah pedal, a distortion box, and a flanger. Set it up in that order with the melody side of your Stick into the Wah first, then into the distortion, then into the flanger then into your amp. Set the wah pedal so that the pedal is almost all the way down, but not completely. Next, add a tiny bit of distortion for a tube "crackle". Set the flanger as follows: Manual should be off, Depth almost full, Rate should be fast, and Resonance should be about one third up. Play some 4ths and 5ths, and an occasional minor third "trill", and there you go! Now to sound like Greg, all you need is innate talent, endless devotion to the Stick, unbounded writing and performance skills, great sense of humor, philanthropic ability to teach..... etc. enjoy! - Dave Brosky

Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Easy Rotating Speaker sound
I used to have a leslie speaker and I was hoping to try one again someday with my Stick. I will try this out! But, I also want to make a small rotating speaker system someday, too. I think that would be fun.

Thanks for the tip.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Dave just keeps comin up with innovative things!

Personally, I'd like to try a Rotovibe. I love the Leslie sound.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:12 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I just copped something tasty on my multi-fx:
control the wah as per normal via the expression pedal
+
control the flanger rate via the expression pedal...only reverse-range

i.e. toe-down gives treble-wah and slow-rate, heel-down gives bass-wah and fast-rate.

Ah well...simple things amuse simple minds ;-)

Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:25 pm