It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:37 pm

Fretboard note Save All flashcards available 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Fretboard note Save All flashcards available
Some players are able to naturally pick up fretboard-note associations while at the Stick, by simply playing the Stick enough, by visualizing the graphically-oriented layout across the fretboard, or what have you.

Then there are those of us who seem to require the information to be pounded into our heads via sheer repetition and "external means" in order to make progress at any reasonable pace.

As I seem to consistently fall into the latter camp with fretboard instruments, I've created a set of "flashcards" on Save All. (Save All is kind of like Quizlet, but less gamified ... and unlike Quizlet still usable without a paid account.) I have decks for Classic (Grand 6x6 and 10 string), Matched Reciprocal (Grand and 10 string), and Baritone Melody. These just drill the note names, not their octaves or their positions on the staff or tab.

Anyone interested, send me a PM with the desired model and tuning, and I'll send you a link to the matching deck. (Note that I only use Classic Grand personally. I've made every attempt to triple-check the rest for accuracy.)

Tarara Grand #7340 Classic Stickup

Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Fretboard note Save All flashcards available
I used flash cards for a long time trying to learn to read music. I never made much progress. What did help was copying sheet music into MuseScore, and writing the notes names above the staff on every piece I was learning. Each time I did this, I got better at quickly naming the note, both on treble and bass clefs. Eventually I noticed that I stopped doing this because I was reading the notes pretty quickly.

For the fretboard, it was a little easier because I already knew most of the scale degree relationships (root, 2nd, minor 3rd, major 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, flatted 7th and octave) from playing guitar. Placing a self-adhesive inlay "dot" at each C note has really gotten the note relationships pretty well established. That little cluster of four notes in a square (B,C,E,F) gives four of the seven, so it's then just a matter of getting the sense of where G, A and D fall — (G just to the "right" of the C, D one full step higher than the C and the A just to the right of the D. And that little square of four notes appears one string to the right of the previous, one fret lower (B to F), and again one string to the "left" of the previous one, one fret higher (F to B) The downside at first was that I didn't pay as much attention to the inlay markers at the 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th frets particularly on my rosewood stick because they're just dot inlays and get lost pretty easily. The Railboard's linear inlay markers stand out much better so I was more aware of those. However, that said, having worked my way through enough StaffTab arrangements I'm getting much more aware of those marker positions even on the instrument where they're not as noticeable. I should also mention that these two instruments are tuned differently (BM and MR) but with the fake inlay dots at the "C" notes, I'm never lost switching between them.

There is a software product called "Neck Diagrams" that I also found helpful in seeing the note relationships. Not sure that it's worth the investment (though it's not horribly expensive) as it's something that is useful for a limited time while you're learning your way around the Stick's fretboard. But it's also fun to use it to help "see" scale and mode patterns beyond the C major scale. It has templates for 10- and 12-string Sticks in various tunings.

By all means, use the flash cards as they might work really well for you, especially if you're not coming from another stringed instrument tuned in 4ths. But the "cheat" of marking one of the notes works really well too!

Attachment:
Baritone Melody 10-string (BCEF).png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
There is a software product called "Neck Diagrams" that I also found helpful in seeing the note relationships. Not sure that it's worth the investment (though it's not horribly expensive) as it's something that is useful for a limited time while you're learning your way around the Stick's fretboard.

For that sort of thing I devised some html based 'touchboard maps', using a bit of CSS to improve the appearance (including an impression of the fret spacing changing along the length).

I've attached an example that's for Classic 12 (or Baritone Melody 10 if you only look at the inner 10 strings).

Attachment:
Classic 12 _ Baritone Melody 10.pdf

On expreimental tunings I tend to include extra notes about the tuning and the range covered. As an example of that I'll also attach my 'Wide Mirrorred 4ths 12' map.

Attachment:
Wide Mirrored 4ths 12.pdf

Editing the source code for different tunings is pretty straight forward (it would be very straight forward if the subscript octave numbers were either done as non-subscript or ommitted all together).

I'd be happy to share the html, but I'm not sure if html attachments are allowed (I suspect not - for sensible security reasons).

I might considered posting some of the 'maps' to my server?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I like the inclusion of the octave, David!!

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:43 pm