It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 pm

Make a beautiful thought ;-) 

Post Make a beautiful thought ;-)
Not really certain where best to ask, so, . . .
Some of us read music, some use tabulature, some play by ear. We each make a wonderful noise.
When we make that noise, some of us may be thinking something. That something might be the note, the timing/rhythm, the fret and string. It might be something totally different.
While i wait for my wonderful stick to be born and delivered, i am learning what i can on guitar. Knowing the notes, on each string, is easy. Knowing them while playing, not so much. I think in terms of fret, string. Have not broken away from that yet. Am nowhere good enough to play by ear, altho, if i make a mistake, i can quite often correct it without looking. That might be good muscle memory, i suppose.
What do you think when you play a note?
Tky!

Grandstick@yahoo.com

Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:29 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Make a beautiful thought ;-)
Learning to play a new instrument can be a lot of fun.
My advice is to try to have fun first. Slow everything down.
Get a feel for the instrument and listen carefully to how it sounds.
Learn the positions of a few key chords and experiment a lot.

I've seen people get stressed out trying to please others.
Trying to copy what other musicians have successfully achieved.
Some musicians have a need to hear how good they can play.
Others don't seem to have a care in the world.
To me, music is a way to relax, unwind and enjoy beautiful tones.

Take it slow at first, play shorter sessions as often as possible.
When you feel like you aren't getting anywhere with your music,
walk away, take a breather and come back when you are ready.
Life is not a race, it's a journey. Music is part of that journey.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sempil wrote:
What do you think when you play a note?

That depends a lot on how what comes out matches what I was hoping to hear. LOL!

More seriously, if you've not considered the offereings at ImproviseForReal, I suggest you take a look (listen).

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@ImproviseForReal
Forum: https://improviseforum.com/
The forum isn't "official", i.e. it's not run by IFR, but they do approve, support & take part in it.

Their holistic approach to the musical environment and the materials & courses built around that approach, have proven immensly invaluable to me.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:55 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Freedom of expression is what music is all about.
I enjoy playing Sax, guitar, Stick, harmonica, keyboard, etc.
Of all of the instruments, I play the Stick and Railboard the most.

One of my favourite instruments is called the Roli SeaBoard.
I use it to create cinematic music for my DaVinci Resolve videos.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... i+seaboard

So, when you ask, what do I think about when playing?
I think about how music has the ability to change moods.
When you are having a bad day, play some great tunes
and you will find that your mood changes.
The same effect is created when making movies.
The music plays a huge part in the film making process.

The Roli SeaBoard can create the music from an entire orchestra.

Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:55 am

Thank you for some good ideas!
Dave, have researched yours some. Totally new idea for me! When i retire (soon, but not soon enough) i will be able to get deeper into that!

I see i messed up a little on my request. When you play, you might think about many things, or nothing. But when you strike a note, when you are learning, how do you find that note, or chord? Eventually it will be automatic. Right now i'm just trying to form good habits. The strings will progress, from fret to fret, the same way, on guitar and on stick, i think. But the strings are not in the same order. Right now i am finding the fret/string, for what i am practicing. That will be different on a stick, different if i use a different tuning. It might be the best way to do this. Or it might be the best for me.
Right now i am on duty 24x7. Practice is sporadic. I know how to read music, but have no idea how to move that note, or chord, to an instrument. This is the perfect chance to develop properly.
Fun? Absolutely! It gives great pleasure to learn tunes. I cant seem to get Mary Had a Little Lamb, or Silent Night, or Thunderstruck. But am also trying Soundmaker, Discipline, Classical Gas, Rumble, with varying degrees of success!!!
But it seems kind of funny to repeat the fret/string until muscle memory takes over. But if that is the best way, all for that!
I dont get to watch many vids when working, but try to get them in when i can. Have not viewed your links yet werkspace, but i can't wait! Thankyou!
And Merry Xmas both and all!

Grandstick@yahoo.com

Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:51 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sempil wrote:
Dave, have researched yours some. Totally new idea for me! When i retire (soon, but not soon enough) i will be able to get deeper into that!

Especially for the 'Hear / Think' aspect you might like to take a listen to the samples on the 'Sing the Numbers 1' product page & consider a small initial investment? Those tracks can be used in various ways. The obvious is a conscious exercise where you set aside time and literally sing back the numbers as 'response' to a 'call'. However, they are musical enough (well, I find them so) that they can be used as 'background' while you're doing something else for 'absorption'.

Edit to add: For example, I often listen to these tracks (& other IFR materials) in the car. If traffic is heavy (rare round here!) I just absorb. If things are more relaxed I do the call / response thing.

It's entirely possibly to DIY this sort of exercise, but you've already mentioned time constraints.

Just a thought?

Sempil wrote:
Right now i'm just trying to form good habits. The strings will progress, from fret to fret, the same way, on guitar and on stick, i think. But the strings are not in the same order. Right now i am finding the fret/string, for what i am practicing. That will be different on a stick, different if i use a different tuning. It might be the best way to do this. Or it might be the best for me.

Do you have your guitar in the usual tuning 'EADGBE'? If so have you considered retuning to 'All Fourths', EADGCF, for a better match to the Stick?

Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:07 am

David, have used lowered d. Was not too impressed, then decided i needed to keep it simple. Unfortunately, simplicity is very hard for me ;-). I never considered setting up strings like a stick. The reason tho, was more because the strings are higher of the neck. The action is tougher. Tapping was very difficult. However, if i were to do that (it actually sounds like an idea to pursue) wouldn't the strings have to be a half step lower, unless i were tapping? And would that be the side i would wish to emulate? If i read the stick tunings page correctly, that would be my left hand. Lots of hopefully good questions. Thank you very much. Will possibly do these in a bit. Right now, i will be home for xmas for a cpl days. Then my last two months before retirement. Then i get to actually apply myself!
Until then, Tks, Merry Xmas.
Laters

Grandstick@yahoo.com

Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sempil wrote:
I never considered setting up strings like a stick. The reason tho, was more because the strings are higher of the neck. The action is tougher. Tapping was very difficult. However, if i were to do that (it actually sounds like an idea to pursue) wouldn't the strings have to be a half step lower, unless i were tapping?

A guitar is never going to be a Stick.

I just mentioned the possibility of trying using a guitar tuned in all 4th, because it's a very simple way to get a full 6 strings that have the same intervals as the melody side of a Stick. All you need to do is tune the 1st & 2nd strings up a semitone & that can be done with a 'normal' string set.

It doesn't give you a 'Stick experience' but it does allow you to experience the patterns that are available on the melody side of a Stick.

The inlays are different, the strings themsleves are different and the notes at each numbered fret are different, but if you ignore all that & just think in terms of patterns of scale degrees I believe it might have some use?

Since the bass side is in descending 5ths (unless you choose to use a less common tuning), it actually has just the same patterns - but they are inversions!

Maybe I see this differently since I already used 'All Fourths' as my usual guitar tuning before I started on Stick? So for me the melody side patterns were already known. The big difference is that need to view them from a different angle & finger them with a different hand.

YMMV.

Sempil wrote:
Then my last two months before retirement.

Just under 3 years for me, & even then only partial...

Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:48 am

@werkspace, WOW! What an instrument!! Is that you?
Got home today, took a first look at your links. Will be looking harder!
Merry Xmas to you and all, and thanks!

Grandstick@yahoo.com

Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:45 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It's not me. The youtube videos show the capability of the instrument.
I purchased my Roli SeaBoard Rise 49 several years ago.
Sempil wrote:
@werkspace, WOW! What an instrument!! Is that you?
Got home today, took a first look at your links. Will be looking harder!
Merry Xmas to you and all, and thanks!

Simon explains how he uses it for creating cinematic music.

Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:53 pm